You Can’t Wear That On An Airplane!

August 31st, 2006 | by Ken Grandlund |

Not only can you no longer take water bottles and toothpaste on board an airplane, now you have to watch what you’re wearing too.

On a trip back from the Middle East, Iraqi blogger and activist Raed Jarrar was not allowed to board a flight at JFK airport because he was wearing a T-Shirt that said “We will not be silent” in English and Arabic. Airport security forced him to change his T-Shirt saying wearing it was like “going to a bank with a T-Shirt reading ‘I am a robber.’”

What’s next? Checking “Made In…” labels to be sure that your clothing doesn’t originate from a terr’ist country? Give me a freaking break. I wonder how many really dangerous people could have gotten on board while these four security people were wasting their time with this guy. T-shirts don’t kill people. Idiotic security measures that don’t create any real security kill people.

[tag]police state, Raed Jarrar, airport+security[/tag]

1. 7 Responses to “You Can’t Wear That On An Airplane!”

2. By Ann on Aug 31, 2006 | Reply

As I posted yesterday, lipstick, teenager’s belts and kid’s toys are all hazardous to other travellers too. Imagine it on a 3hr flight, a bored child, a disgruntled teenager holding up her pants and, no frickin’ lipstick to at least paint a smile on my face. I love travel.

3. By Jet Netwal on Aug 31, 2006 | Reply

Yet they ruled in favor of a teen wearing an anti-Bush tee shirt. All is not lost, perhaps…

4. By Craig R. Harmon on Aug 31, 2006 | Reply

Ken,

The only part I wonder about is this: “Idiotic security measures that don’t create any real security kill people.”
    Not immediately obvious to me how. What did you have in mind here?

5. By ken grandlund on Aug 31, 2006 | Reply

Aside from being a play on an over-used phrase, what I meant to imply was that false security measures, like telling someone to take off or change a t-shirt, removes these security agents from conducting real security surveillance, an act that could potentially allow people bent on harmful acts to slip by unnoticed.

6. By Craig R. Harmon on Sep 1, 2006 | Reply

Ken,

Okay. I can buy that. Thanks for the clarification.

7. By anonymous on Sep 5, 2006 | Reply

Last week Delta made my friend turn inside-out her “George Bush Killed My Dog” shirt because it was “offensive”.

8. By Craig R. Harmon on Sep 5, 2006 | Reply

Well, that is pretty offensive. If it’s true I’m offended at Bush. If it’s not true then I’m offended by your friend’s decision to wear a shirt that falsely maligns the President.

On the other hand, I don’t see either as a cause for making him change her shirt or turn it inside out.