VOTE FOR GOD

October 28th, 2006 | by Ken Grandlund |

god poster

I’ve been seeing this sign posted amongst the other political campaign signs around my community this last week or so. I must admit I’m surprised—I never expected the Return of God to be so straightforward, so in-your-face, so contemporary. Why would the ruler of the universe need to campaign for election anyway? I mean, if God really wanted to, couldn’t it just assume total control in a flash of light? Or maybe God’s previously chosen leader (who calls himself George W. Bush) just isn’t measuring up like the Omnipotent One envisioned, so the only option left was to get in there and do the job Himself. Whatever the case, I’m sure this late entry, which will probably have to be a write-in candidacy in view of the missed filing deadlines, will add an element of surprise and likely increase voter turnout.

What’s that? Oh crap. I didn’t see the small print at first, so bedazzled was I at the prospect of actually getting the chance to cast a vote for the Omniscient Creator of All Things, thus forming the first true democratic theocracy. But now that I have a closer look, I can see that this isn’t really a campaign sign after all. It’s just a clever marketing gimmick for a local church. God isn’t running for city council, county supervisor, congress, or even the local water board. It’s just a ruse after all.

But now my curiosoty is piqued, so I checked out the New Song Community Church Web site to see what the deal is. Is this the most egregious example of tax-exempt religious organizations directing political thought or something more innocuous? Or is it a subliminal message of some sort, to make me think a certain candidate or political party is more God-like than another?

From the front page of the Web site:

Here are 5 things to look for when picking the perfect candidate:
· Is he or she trustworthy?
· Do they follow through on their promises?
· Do they play favorites?
· What can this person add to my life?
· What is this person really like? What does he or she have that no other candidate has?

Well, that makes things about as clear as mud. Now I can’t vote for anybody. Either these guys are really crafty or really good at walking a fine line. Or maybe they just want me to come to church to find out if they are presenting an endorsement or just providing guidelines and hoping I’ll pick the “right guy.”

[tag]Vote+For+God, New+Song+Community+Church, religion, elections, campaigning[/tag]

1. 11 Responses to “VOTE FOR GOD”

2. By Jersey McJones on Oct 28, 2006 | Reply

“Now I can’t vote for anybody.” ROTFLMAO!!!

You’re killin’ me here, Ken!

JMJ

3. By RainbowDemon on Oct 28, 2006 | Reply

WOW! I didn’t even know GOD was running for any office…

I thought he was DEAD! Didn’t Nietzsche assassinate him back in 1892?

4. By Jersey McJones on Oct 28, 2006 | Reply

Well, maybe they can do like in Missouri and put his wife in!  Hey, anythings better than John Ashcroft!

JMJ

5. By anaveragepatriot on Oct 28, 2006 | Reply

Ken

The inference and lie is a vote for Republicans is a vote for God I believe. Nothing could be further from the truth!

6. By Craig R. Harmon on Oct 28, 2006 | Reply

I think that, as far as I can tell, they aren’t promoting particular candidates or even particular parties here. It’s possible that they do that via sermons, in Bible studies, etc., but just judging from the web site, I think this is fine. After all, a Democrat who thinks that Republicans have proven themselves to be dishonest and untrustworthy would ask these five questions of the candidates and come to the conclusion that voting for God means voting for Democrats.

Unless you find something from this Church’s publications, preaching or teaching that is equating Republicans with a vote for God, I’d have to disagree with AnAveragePatriot. Or at least I’d have to say that I see no particular evidence to support his assertion that this is a lie.

7. By windspike on Oct 28, 2006 | Reply

But they just want to FWGS, you know, Finish What God Started…yes, cleansing the universe of perversion or whatever.  Maybe they should start at the tipity top of our governement…that’s a good spot…or perhaps other christian organizations that pervert the name of god for their own spoils.

8. By SheaNC on Oct 28, 2006 | Reply

Funny that God can’t run for election, yet Satan has been Vice President for six years.

9. By Omnipotent Poobah on Oct 28, 2006 | Reply

I am the Omnipotent Poobah and I approve of this message!

10. By Liberal Army Wife on Oct 28, 2006 | Reply

a bit arrogant, isn’t it?  as if a vote is really going to matter to an omnipotent being (sorry Poobah, taking your name….etc…etc..)  I am always amused by anyone deciding to claim that God is on their side… each side does, and I really doubt that, if there is such an omnipotent being, that she/he/it could give a good damn about politicians (except maybe for a quick chuckle)

LAW

11. By Tyler on Oct 28, 2006 | Reply

This is a very interesting post (and an interesting blog)! Thanks for sharing, I will definetly check back! Nice to see you active on blogexplosion as well…:-). Won’t you return the favor?

1. 1 Trackback(s)