The Results Are In!

January 21st, 2007 | by Omnipotent Poobah |

As promised, here are the results from my post about anonymous commenting (Poobah Speaks thread and Bring It On thread). There were some good points and the comments were refreshingly civil compared with many threads. Kudos to all who participated.

But despite being cordial, I’d like to point out that no one took up my offer.

I’m not going to cover every point here. It’d be too massive an undertaking for a single post. Since most lefties supported my post, I won’t address their comments here. However, here’s my take on several of the comments from the right side:

From Sandyb at BIO - “This is one of the most refreshing topics I’ve seen here. It doesn’t slander the president, USA, or offend even me. I don’t TRY to be nasty. I just get incensed when I read the CONSTANT attacks on MY president/God/country and support for terrorists, baby-killers, homosexuality/sodomy, etc…(Notice I am NOT pc so I don’t use pc words like freedom fighters, abortionists, and gay.)”

Sandy: I’m glad you found it refreshing. However, read your own words carefully. The comments above devolves into the same name-calling you condemn. Your hair trigger comments frequently accuse others of the same things you decry, while oftimes being patently untrue. Simply because someone disagrees with you is no indication they, “support terrorists”, are “babykillers”, (or my personal favorite “losers”). True, you’ve often been personally attacked and I’m not going to defend that - but it takes two to tango. Having said that, I’ve often argue for not censoring you because I believe you should be heard - even if I don’t agree with you.

While you post your first name, you don’t link to a personal site or an email. This classifies as anonymous in my book. You never start a discussion, you only blame others for perceived slights after someone else gets the ball rolling. To me, this is a bit like not voting and then blaming the people who did vote because you’re not happy about their choice. I’d have much more respect for your comments if I saw you start the balling rolling occasionally and if you “owned” your comments with free access to your original thoughts and ideas. If I want to know what you think, I have to depend on comments - not fully developed postings - to peer inside that beautiful mind of yours.

You explanation is, “Maybe it’s because someone has their own blog, but doesn’t want it connected? Some like remaining anon in a sense. And if some knew who some were on here, they would faint.”

That may be true, but it’s a dangerously wobbly defense. By not linking to a personal blog, posting original topics at BIO, or taking up my offer you don’t allow others to comment on YOUR original ideas and positions. In other words, what’s good for the gander doesn’t seem so good to the goose.

Perhaps an example of a better defense might be Jack ARMY who wrote, “I do have my opinions…but my position prevents me from saying what I’d like about many political topics and particularly the political personalities.”

Jack’s in the Army, where speaking out is frowned upon and also against military law in some cases. I think that’s a good justification for not commenting if he chooses. Despite that, he was courageous enough to leaving a link to his personal blog - and nobody “fainted”. Kudos to Jack.

From Craig Harmon at BIO - Craig objected to my statement, “I believe if you state your position you should take public responsibility for it”, like this:

“Really, Oh Omnipotent one? Is that how your name appears on your birth certificate or are every one of your posts and comments anonymous (or, more accurately, pseudonymous)? As far as I’m concerned, commenting as Omnipotent Poobah is no different than commenting as ‘anonymous’. How do you distinguish your practice from the practice that you criticize here?”

Craig: First, I was unaware you had a BIO diary. That’s because your commenter link currently links to an empty “http:”, which makes you pretty anonymous to anyone who wants to view or comment on your posts. You might want to correct that so you aren’t so, um, anonymous.

Sure, I publish under a pseudonym. I happen to like my omnipotence and can have a little fun with it. However, my posts always link to my personal blog, my entire BIO diary, and my . In fact, I use my real name when responding to emails. I don’t think this is “anonymous”. I identify where to find my other posts and positions and always allow people to respond to them (directly if they like, through email).

BTW, my real name is Jack Koeneman. Feel free to drop in as often as you like. I’m always open.

From Steve at BIO - “There are just as many liberal bloggers and left wingers that are pretty far out…it is the fringe that screws it all up. It’s the fringe on both sides that make people crazy with their takes on religion and the color of one’s skin.”

Steve: I completely agree. I read your posts on BIO and occasionally visit your personal blog. You argue passionately, but try to stick to the facts - which is key for commenters on both sides. I also give you props because you don’t comment anonymously and your posts allow people to visit your personal blog. I can’t ask any more than that.

From Anonymous at Poobah Speaks - “(Sound of crickets because the author deleted their own comment).

Anonymous: If this was just an error by a non-anonymous commenter, my apologies. If it was intentional - dude, that is the lamest of the lame. You can’t even take responsibility for saying nothing.

Thanks to everyone for this little exercise in democracy. I found it enlightening and I hope you did too.

Cross Posted at The Omnipotent Poobah Speaks!

[tag]blogging, bloggers, conservative+blog, crapweasels, omnipotent+poobah, bring+it+on[/tag]

1. 13 Responses to “The Results Are In!”

2. By Paul Watson on Jan 21, 2007 | Reply

OP,

I think I have to defend Craig here. He does have a BIO diary and tends to debate with everyone courteously, respectfully and far too well for my liking. ;) He’s pretty much what you’re asking for, minus the personal blog.

3. By Paul Watson on Jan 21, 2007 | Reply

Craig’s BIO diary is here.

4. By Craig R. Harmon on Jan 21, 2007 | Reply

Thanks Paul. By the way, I’ve updated my profile to include some personal info.

5. By sandyb on Jan 21, 2007 | Reply

Can I go off topic just for a sec?

************* BEARS WIN!!! BEARS WIN!!! SUPERBOWL HERE WE COME!!!!! *************

6. By omnipotentpoobah on Jan 21, 2007 | Reply

Craig and Paul,
    Thanks for the update and I’ll be sure to stop by. And just to be clear, I don’t think Craig needs to be defended. I’ve seen his comments and you’re right that he handles himself quite capably. Now I’ll know where his blog is so I can see more about how he thinks and perhaps engage in some debate.

My hat’s off to both of you for commenting and defending your points of view. Hopefully, more people can see that view.

Sandy,

Off topic? You? Never!

Since I don’t have a dog in the hunt…GO BEARS!

7. By sandyb on Jan 22, 2007 | Reply

LOL OP. Did you know today is supposed to be the most miserable day of the year?

Thank God the Bears won the game yesterday. That gave some of us some cheer.

Since I don’t know how or even if I can start a topic, I posted this here. (Keeping up with my off topic again…)

8. By Paul Watson on Jan 22, 2007 | Reply

sandy,

In order to start a diary, you need to register. The link is on the left hand side of the screen, just below the title bar. This will requite you to give yourself a name and your e-mail address, but nothing else. That will allow then you to start diaries once you log into the registered account.

9. By landcomm1 on Jan 22, 2007 | Reply

It is sad that no one took you up on the offer.

If one truly believes in what they think and has the time to post comments here, they should be proud or brave enough to back up who they are, what their credentials are etc. Were it not for the fact Sandy tends to amuse me more than frustrate me, I don’t think I would bother but it is a good exercise in tolerance and writing skill.  :-)
    I suppose there is the possibility that the Sandy’s of BIO (and other Blogs) are closet neo-cons, afraid that the people who know them in ‘real’ life might be offended by their thoughts.  I might buy this now, that the lion’s share of America has said “piss off” to much of what Duby has done but up until the November elections, these crazed zealots of supposed conservative family values seemed to be running the show and to the best of my recollection, there should have been little reason to hide.  It is therefore my opinion that most who comment anonymously are just plain chicken-shit!

I started this venture into the Blogasphere anonymously enough but quickly shed such pretense.  I’m hardly afraid of my own thoughts.  This fear is a problem for every free man, woman and child in America.  Bush, Gonzalez and Co. have done enough to create fear, thank you very damn much!  What we need is to work together to show the light of truth and bravery!  Grow a pair, be proud of your opinion, political slant and even non-pc post!  Stand up for what you believe in, yes but also listen to, be educated by and grow wiser about your impact here, in your community and in the world.

We have had a dramatic impact on politics.  Were it not for our posted thoughs and perhaps more important for the action we have taken by writing to elected officials, speaking with friends, family and neighbors, the changes we are making in our country would not have been possible.  Thank goodness for those of us who are not afraid of what we say and do.  Thank goodness for Poobahs!

10. By Craig R. Harmon on Jan 22, 2007 | Reply

Omnipotent,

I know that the ball-player analogy is a tricky one but I think it apt, as I wrote it. At some point, players’ salaries may have to come down to earth but I’m not so sure that that’s necessary. Already I would much rather watch a game on tv, for free, than go to a park miles away, pay to park, walk to the stadium and find a seat, pay through the nose for a beer and brats, share a bathroom with fifty other men, miss an exciting play while I’m gone to the bathroom, try to find my car in the lot and then risk life and limb trying to get out of the lot and back on the road and home.

I wouldn’t do it if it were all free.

So I really don’t know what’s going to put downward pressure on the salaries of professional sports players.

The market value of a CEO is just as tied to his value to a corporation as the value of a Michael Jordan was to the Bulls franchise. Eventually, ball-players price themselves out of the game. That is, they either wake up to the fact that no team will pay what they think they are worth and they accept what someone IS willing to pay or they get out of the game but as long as there’s a team willing to pay more, they’re underpaid…whether we fans think they are or not.

11. By Craig R. Harmon on Jan 22, 2007 | Reply

Oops, wrong thread. Sorry.

12. By steve on Jan 22, 2007 | Reply

Hey landcomm,

Why take up the offer?  Seriously…  Unless you are ready for the onslaught and have the time and patience to really challenge someone, then don’t do it.  I stand by everything I say at any moment.  And I am right there on my blog, laying it all out.  You can figure out who I am.  I try to shield personal information about myself.

If you want, you can take it up with me personally on my blog.  That is if you find a topic you can get into.

13. By sandyb on Jan 22, 2007 | Reply

landcomm- I am a closet nothing. I am who I am here just as in everyday life. Maybe I am one of only a few, true, loyal W supporters left.

I don’t care.

I know him. I love him. I admire him. And I respect him. He has done what no one else would ever have the to do.

14. By sandyb on Jan 22, 2007 | Reply

p.s. Call me what you will but remember Moses started out as a basket case….