The State of Veteran Healthcare

March 5th, 2007 | by Craig R. Harmon |

No, ‘It Is Just Not Walter Reed’. It’s an embarrassment that needs to be addressed throughout the country.

1. 20 Responses to “The State of Veteran Healthcare”

2. By Jersey McJones on Mar 5, 2007 | Reply

I’m watching the House hearing on this on C-Span right now.  Compelling stuff.

JMJ

3. By tos on Mar 5, 2007 | Reply

It truly is a bad sign when we see how government run healthcare takes care of our veterans.I hope our healthcare system is overhauled before we let the government be responsible for the entire country’s healthcare. I would like to see what the plan is to fix it. We already hear what all the negatives are but I have yet to hear what the plans are to make it work better.

We need to get congress working on this before we pay for yet another failed program.

4. By Jersey McJones on Mar 5, 2007 | Reply

It seems to me, Tos, as I recall, that when we had the old system we had, back before the coming of the HMO’s and clinics, which was far more socialistic than what we have now, that care was far better, choices were far more abundant, and care was far cheaper than it is now.  On top of all that - there is clear evidence that outsourcing of services by the DoD was a big part of the problem.

Once again, you have been proven completely wrong but simply refuse to accept it.

JMJ

5. By tos on Mar 5, 2007 | Reply

JMJ-One reason Healthcare cost are high is because the ones that can pay for it pay for the ones who don’t. So if you think it’s going to cost a little more keep dreaming. It isn’t going to cost you or me or anyone else an additional 500 per year. Try about 5.4% of your income. Do the math and get bck to me.

6. By Jersey McJones on Mar 6, 2007 | Reply

Tos, we don’t pay the cost of other people’s healthcare through our insurance or pharmaceuticals.  We pay for it with our taxes.  You do see the difference, right?  And by people not being insured, and thus not getting check-ups and preventative care, the costs are exponentially higher for the taxpayor when said uninsured people do require medical care - and, at one point or another, EVERYONE requires some kind of medical care.  That is why it should be a right and a socially shared burden.  Get it?

JMJ

7. By tos on Mar 6, 2007 | Reply

Yeah well good luck with that JMJ. Enjoy all your new taxes!

8. By Dusty on Mar 6, 2007 | Reply

Why is raising taxes a bad word? If it meant that your cost of having healthcare would drop or perhaps be wiped out..wwouldn’t that be a good thing?

Btw Craig, your probably the only conservative that isn’t calling the soldiers whiny, sniveling morons from what i have read on some of the rightwing sites. Freeper was a real treat.

9. By Craig R. Harmon on Mar 6, 2007 | Reply

Dusty,

Freeper usually is a ‘treat’. The Conservative sites I visit haven’t denigrated the troops.

10. By Dusty on Mar 6, 2007 | Reply

Well, Freeper gets a lot of con action doesn’t it? Are you saying by calling it a ‘treat’ its not a good way to judge what cons are saying about something?

11. By Craig R. Harmon on Mar 6, 2007 | Reply

Dusty,

Not at all. FreeRepublic is, as far as I know, a very high-traffic Conservative site. What I’m suggesting is that it is the Conservative equivalent of DemocraticUnderground.com, not necessarily a mainstream Conservative site. Also that it doesn’t give a good view of what the more intellectual Conservatives are saying or thinking about something.

12. By Chris on Mar 6, 2007 | Reply

Intellectual Conservatives? Isn’t that an oxymoron.

13. By Dusty on Mar 6, 2007 | Reply

LMAO Chris..but seriously Craig..they were very vicious over there w/regard to the Walter Reed debacle. Why would they be that way? Why do they make this a right/left issue?

14. By Craig R. Harmon on Mar 7, 2007 | Reply

Dusty,

I’m sorry but you would have to ask them.

15. By Dusty on Mar 7, 2007 | Reply

Now dang nabbit..your a conservative..you tell me what their logic is in going after the wounded soldiers…please?

Ok..nevermind. Expecting you to explain the conservative line of thought would be similar to me explaining the 9/11 theorists and their philosophy on why BushCo bombed our towers.

16. By Craig R. Harmon on Mar 7, 2007 | Reply

Dusty,

Thanks. While I am a Conservative, I am not the sort of Conservative that can even begin to imagine a Conservative principle that would cover attacking our nation’s soldiers as wimps and whiners after they’ve given the things the guys and girls at Walter Reed have given for their country in order to defend a system that is anything other than top notch.

17. By Dusty on Mar 7, 2007 | Reply

Well, thank God for that Craig :)
    Good luck on your colonoscopy tomorrow..I have tried to get my husband to get one..he is a wimp and a whiner about it..

18. By Craig R. Harmon on Mar 7, 2007 | Reply

LOL!

19. By Dusty on Mar 7, 2007 | Reply

At least I made you laugh :) You will have to email me about the ‘c’ thing tomorrow..so I can tell my wimpy, whiny republican husband its not big deal.

20. By Craig R. Harmon on Mar 7, 2007 | Reply

Okay. I promise not to live-blog my colonscopy, though.

21. By Dusty on Mar 7, 2007 | Reply