I’m Against Abortion

April 21st, 2007 | by Omnipotent Poobah |

I’m pro-life.

I don’t think anyone could reasonably argue that abortions are good - not even the women who have them. They can be risky and sometimes women must deal with severe emotional and physical consequences. Whether you believe that life begins at conception or at any date along the gestation time line, abortions are procedures best avoided.

A Pound of Prevention…

Of course, there are many ways to prevent abortions.

There’s the just say no approach. Proponents believe the less said about sex, the better. They rely on a numbing repetition of the “no” mantra, having kids sign pureness pledges, and not mentioning the delicate issue in public or private. If all else fails, cold showers will keep potential fornicators from being seduced by their filthy genetic urges. There’s no way these kids will blow their wads in the den while watching Pat Robertson on television.

Proponents of the just say yes approach are the flip side of the just say no crowd. For them, sex is all about procreation. Their counseling centers tell women they can have their cake and eat it too. Have the kid, but place it for adoption. Good advice, unless you happen to be a crack-addicted minority kid or one of the lucky few who live in impoverished Third World countries frequently visited by Madonna or Angelina Jolie.

Some people support the rhythm method. They recognize the magnetic draw of human sexuality and admit just saying no to something that feels so good might not work. They reluctantly allow giving into the urge, but limit themselves to non-impregnating options like mutual masturbation, “pulling out” before the seed spills, or resorting to the quaint Monica Lewinsky method.

A small number frame abortion as a states’ rights issue. They ask, “Who does the US Supreme Court think it is to tell (insert Red State name here) what to do?” They’d rather trust a state supreme court to make the decisions because state courts obviously possess critical information that’s inaccessible and completely unintelligible to Justice Roberts, et al.

Not Everyone is an Angel

But not everyone is a pro-life angel.

Deadly abortionists believe solid sex education works best. They think people should know about their bodies and proactively prevent “mistakes” that sometimes occur during a little heavy breathing. They shockingly believe condoms help prevent STDs. Heck, some even condone free condoms for kids who fudge their pureness pledges with window-steaming action in the back of Mom’s mini van.

Others believe in the power of medication. These folks see birth control pills as the panacea. Perhaps not as safe as condoms, but partial protection is better than no protection at all. Right? Worst of all, these drug pushers believe the morning after pill is an abomination if ever there was one. That’s why so many pharmacists refuse to fill valid prescriptions for them.

Yet another group of morally-challenged baby-killers thinks the life of the mother has some bearing on the situation. They actually believe that taking a life that already exists is better than stopping a potential life that doesn’t. Many believe this group supports growing babies and killing them for their stem cells.

Pro-Choice and Pro-Life

I’m against abortion, but I’m also for sex education, open communication, abstinence, birth control, adoption, federal standards, stem cell research, and considering the life of the mother (and the baby’s if it goes to full term). In fact, I’m for anything that prevents an abortion, so long as it works.

To me, life is a baby with loving parents, enough financial security for shelter and food, safety from physical and emotional abuse, and a healthy Mom and baby at the end of the process. An existence absent any of these things is no life at all and sometimes an abortion is the only way to guarantee a life worth living.

So, I’m pro-life and pro-choice because there is no other sensible way to be.

Cross Posted at The Omnipotent Poobah Speaks!

[tag]abortion, politics, omnipotent+poobah, bring+it+on[/tag]

1. 13 Responses to “I’m Against Abortion”

2. By Dusty on Apr 21, 2007 | Reply

I too am for anything that prevents an abortion. But the idiots pushing abstinence are doing a huge disservice to America.

They don’t have a problem with killing Iraqi’s however.

3. By Jersey McJones on Apr 21, 2007 | Reply

Got a letter from NARAL the other day. I guess they saw this coming. I’ll be sending them something.

OP - you’re always a great read, but this is one of the best lines I’ve ever read anywhere ever, I’m pro-life and pro-choice because there is no other sensible way to be.”

JMJ

4. By windspike on Apr 21, 2007 | Reply

I’m with JMJ on your last bit on being both pro-life and pro-choice…

I’m always astonished at the large number of pro-lifer types that suggest murdering fetuses is bad all the while jumping on the W, Rove and Co. let’s bomb the shit out of some country for whatever cause band wagon as if killing people was the only solution to solve the worlds troubles.

5. By Jersey McJones on Apr 21, 2007 | Reply

There’s an abortion regulation case coming before the court next. Kennedy will once again be seen as the “swing vote.” My guess is this time he’ll blink and strike down the reg. We shall see…

JMJ

6. By Ron on Apr 21, 2007 | Reply

More hypocrisy from liberals. Why can’t you all just come out and admit that YOU LOVE THE THOUGHT OF DEAD BABIES!!!

(/NewsGnome parody)

7. By tos on Apr 21, 2007 | Reply

First of all before the debate I want to say too OP this was an excellent post.
    I do not disagree with abortion altogether but
    I feel that most people know that the risks with late term abortion are far greater than a first trimester one. I’m not one of those who go rah-rah war and and boo-hoo abortion as I don’t think that it should be compared to that. They are two different issues.
    Some opponents say it’s too broad a law where it will it would put restrictions on more women and girls than it is meant to and I see that point it and I would hope that wouldn’t be the case.
    Then there’s the other side where people feel that you can have a partial birth abortion(yes that’s what it is) okay you’re 14 and you are 5 months pregnant,don’t worry we’ll take care of it and we don’t have to let your parents know. I’m not saying it’s that casual of a situation but we can be headed that way. (we are more than half way there already.)
    or:
    We know you are going to have sex so we will show you how to be safe. Where do we draw the line? We know abstinence alone isn’t effective but is this what we really want to be able to do? To make it so easy?I don’t think this is a pro-life choice,nor do I think it is a pro-choice one. It is hidden on what actually occurs in this procedure and I would have to think if you are 14,15,16 or any age,that later in life it isn’t going to haunt you? I don’t know how many people could handle that. When you’re 30 and think about what was done. I don’t think it could ever be rationalized unless you are just emotionless.
    They want to hide important facts about it. What it really entails and that the baby can feel it. You can play it down all you want but as a woman it’s not that difficult to figure it out whether at the time or later on.
    Is it really a civil rights thing or a moral thing?
    I don’t see us heading for having to wear burkas but we are making it “responsibilty to the wind” and we can see how well that works.
    Do you think these same opponents care more about cell phones killing bees? I wonder how many aborted babies could have been future Bill Clintons. I wonder how many future presidents like him we may of had.

8. By Steve O on Apr 21, 2007 | Reply

Tos,

As much as abortion is a very, very sad situation the bottom line is that it is a medical procedure.

It is performed on a person whether they use it as contreception or they use it as a life saving method of medical science. Thank God for medicine, right?

I had a boy/girl once, not sure because I’ll never know because the mother decided to abort. I hurt every day because of her decision but I had to come to the reality that I didn’t have a choice. It was all her decision and she went ahead with it without my permission. I didn’t have a CHOICE!!!!!!

It’s all about choice and it hurts!!!

This is hard for me to write because it still hurts me almost 20 years later but the bottom line is that we must preserve the right to choose, no matter what!!!!! I didn’t have a choice because of me being a man, think about not have a choice because of legal reasons?

You might ask why and let me tell you, from someone that had no choice in the matter it was never mine to make because it wasn’t my body.

You talk about the next Bill Clinton, that is just plain flawed, how many sperm are jerked off into blue dresses every year that could have become someone? How many eggs are flushed without women knowing that they were pregnant? How do you know that God didn’t want it to be that way?

You don’t. Period. Your God is not my God and your beliefs are not my beliefs and your idea of when life begins is not backed up by any scientific fact so do us all a favor and stay the fuck out of our personal beliefs. Because you won’t like it too much if I pass laws that won’t give you a CHOICE!!!!!!

9. By Lazy Iguana on Apr 22, 2007 | Reply

I do not think that abortion is used as a “birth control” method. I do not know any chicks that have said “hey lets screw, and if I get knocked up I will just get an abortion”. The fact is that abortions do present some level of risk to the woman, and are not exactly a fun thing to have done.

I guess I am pro life and pro choice too. If birth control education can prevent abortions, then how can that be a bad thing? People ARE going to have sex. Even in the “good old days” babies were born to chicks still in high school. But back then there was no Jerry Springer show to tell us who the baby daddy was, so these pregnancies were either quietly carried out and the kid farmed out for adoption, the woman would get an illegal abortion, or if the family had money there would be a “family vacation” to Sweeden and the girl would return home un pregnant and nothing was ever said about it.

10. By pitman on Apr 22, 2007 | Reply

Ron:
    Do you thing there’s any connection between the Catholic Fascists in the Extreme Court and their chipping away at Roe to provide more babies so that priests and their unsatiable need for child sex is satisfied? Hell they (the Catholic church) been hiding the perpetrators for over 2000 years - ask Cardinal Law. On second thought ya better not he’s probably busy looking for more parishes to hide another molestor.

11. By Ron on Apr 22, 2007 | Reply

Who, me? I wasn’t trying to add anything substantive to the debate. Normally I won’t touch this subject with a ten-foot pole.

However, your theory is fascinating and we expect a full post on it soon.

12. By tos on Apr 22, 2007 | Reply

SteveO-I understand what you are saying but again avoiding the subject of “late-term abortion” There’s a big difference you know. when a baby is 5 months old and has it’s head drilled and it’s brains sucked out. I mean come on let’s see it for what it is. Doesn’t sound pretty but that’s what it is. I wonder what that would feel like. Or are you saying a 5 month old baby or as you would label it “a fetus” wouldn’t feel that?
    And this ridiculous statement:
    “Your God is not my God and your beliefs are not my beliefs and your idea of when life begins is not backed up by any scientific fact so do us all a favor and stay the fuck out of our personal beliefs. Because you won’t like it too much if I pass laws that won’t give you a CHOICE!!!!!!”
    See how you cleverly avoid the partial birth abortion” issue. That’s what this is about. Not whether my God is your God. This isn’t a God issue,it’s a moral one. And if you think it’s perfectly okay to do that then that’s a shame that you label it as “your personal belief”. That would never be my choice to do that,not because of religion because I am not religious,because I believe at 5 months we can all agree life has more than begun. Do you agree with at least that? Or are you going to dance around it again?

13. By sillygirl on Apr 22, 2007 | Reply

Woah! A 5 month old baby!!! You mean that at birth, babies are 40 weeks old?!?!?! Holy macaroni, Batman, I have my own age all screwed up! I’m 43 weeks behind the curve (since I was 3 weeks late), but then there’s that thing where 40 weeks of gestation is from the first day of the last menstrual cycle, because there’s no way to know WHEN the sperm and egg actually met up, even if you knew when ovulation occured. Hmmm…such a conundrum.

I personally would not choose to have such a procedure at 5 months into pregnancy simply because the fetus looks like a baby, and it’s all a little too oooogy to me, UNLESS, the fetus would suffer more because of some congenital defect that would inevitably cause a more painful death anyway.

HOWEVER, consider that only 2% of babies born at 23 weeks of gestation would survive without SEVERE abnormalities (see http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/abstract/329/22/1597). That number increases considerably as each week passes. If it can’t survive and live outside of the womb long-term, then independent life has NOT begun.

14. By sillygirl on Apr 22, 2007 | Reply

HOWEVER, consider that only 2% of babies born at 23 weeks of gestation would survive without SEVERE abnormalities (see New England Journal of Medicine). That number increases considerably as each week passes. If it can’t survive and live outside of the womb long-term, then independent life has NOT begun.