What Will You Do Today To Be Happy?

May 28th, 2007 | by steve |

Just stop arguing for a moment. Stop writing some post to bash Bush, the war or anything that resembles political bickering…

Just stop…

What will you do today to be happy?

I just did it.

I fired up the Porsche. Took the Targa top off and drove downtown to get a cup of coffee. No traffic. No cars. Just a few dog walkers and joggers as I revved my motor, darting around each corner like a Formula One racer. Smiles and waves all the way until I got to Peet’s Coffee. And it felt great. A bit selfish? Yes… But it is my freedom. Nothing else could go right today and I could say it was a great morning. And it’s only 8:15 AM.

It feels good to take a day off. We all got to remember why we are free. Why we can write that latest political post. Why we can write anything we want on our blogs. Or why we can grill the perfect steak on our barbecue today.

Thanks.

1. 13 Responses to “What Will You Do Today To Be Happy?”

2. By Charlie on May 28, 2007 | Reply

It’s interesting that you choose today, the day we honor the hundreds of thousands of people who died in wars throughout history, to tell us that today we should be selfish.

Today, is a day I remember how lucky I am to be alive. Other people I knew are dead for things as simple as looking the wrong direction. Thousands around the nation are suffering in a way you can’t grasp because the VA is underfunded and under staffed. None of these people get to take the day off and decide to be alive today or not to be living with horrible pain today.

People like Tammara, Amy Branham, Carlos Arredondo, Juan Torres, me and hundreds of others do so much work every day and feel like we haven’t done enough. So maybe, just maybe you should take five minutes off from that drive or that perfect steak and do something to take up the slack.

*of course I doubt that you will, Steve, since the last time I checked the bloodbath in Iraq was just fine with you*

3. By steve on May 28, 2007 | Reply

Funny Charlie… You are calling me selfish… Why because I am not like you?

I could be really mean right now but why. Today yes, we honor those that fought and died for this country. And once you have done that what are you left with?

Freedom…

You choose your way and I’ll choose mine.

4. By Charlie on May 28, 2007 | Reply

First of all, I didn’t call you selfish, you did.

I don’t expect you to be like me. In fact, I’m glad you’re not. I don’t wish this living hell on anyone. I am just reminding you that millions of us don’t have the luxury to take a day off.

You can do whatever you want. So sure, drive your over priced car to the store, and forget the folks that are going to die today. But you still have the freedom to be a pompus ass.

5. By steve on May 28, 2007 | Reply

My overpriced car is a 1974 with a cracked windshield and squeaky brakes. And my back feels good enough to drive it. It’s a personal freedom, a freedom I feel on days like this. I didn’t call myself selfish. You gave the implication since we’re nit-picking.

So what am I supposed to do, not leave the house because someone is going to die? C’mon!

The war is a screwed up situation and the VA is much worse. So what are we supposed to do? What are common Americans supposed to do? Call for impeachment? Then what? So we impeach the guy (which ain’t likely because he didn’t break the law) then what? Then what? Then what? Then what?

Charlie, there have been, millions who have protested a war or a President throughout history. People die for a war or a cause. Every time we elect someone to lead us, at least half the people in this country hate that person. It’s completely ludicrous. Don’t like war? Don’t volunteer!! Period.

If my thoughts make me a pompous ass… so be it.

At least I have the freedom to say it.

Thank you!

6. By Charlie on May 28, 2007 | Reply

Steve,

You said:

“fired up the Porsche. Took the Targa top off and drove downtown to get a cup of coffee. No traffic. No cars. Just a few dog walkers and joggers as I revved my motor, darting around each corner like a Formula One racer. Smiles and waves all the way until I got to Peet’s Coffee. And it felt great. A bit selfish? Yes…

You said selfish so I did too. Cry about it if you want to. We can nit-pick all you want, but I really don’t have time for it. I’ve got dead-lines out the wazoo.

I was trying to ask our readers here at bio to do one simple action today, regardless of what it is, so that those of us putting in 20 hour days trying to stop this thing, feel that we can take an hour to make ourselves happy without feeling like we cheated someone.

I don’t think it’s too much to ask.

By the way, I volunteered to defend the country not shoot children so back the fuck off on the volunteer crap. Chairborne Ranger.

7. By steve on May 28, 2007 | Reply

I think you are the one doing the crying…

8. By Charlie on May 28, 2007 | Reply

Okay. So at this point I’m going to take a deep breath and try this again.

I agree that we should try to do something for ourselves and be happy.

Now, could all of you out there try to do just one thing for veterans and the troops currently serving. That’s what it would take for me and so many others to feel like we have the luxury to do something for ourselves.

Thanks Steve for giving us the opportunity to talk about this.

9. By Charlie on May 28, 2007 | Reply

If you don’t know what to do, I made a partial list in my diary.

10. By Charlie on May 28, 2007 | Reply

Not only that Steve, I just reread my original post. Why do you always have to attack? I didn’t attack you. I just asked that people do something to take up the slack.

11. By steve on May 28, 2007 | Reply

Oh… Charlie, I don’t attack. I never once pick the fight. I just jab people for what they say or leave smart assed stuff that enflames people. I usually don’t encounter you.

Besides, you think I fully support this bloodbath. I think that set me off. I was asking in my post to put it off today. Remember the troops and do something that makes you happy. That could be as simple as taking a child to get an ice cream.

12. By tammara on May 28, 2007 | Reply

ya well, little steve,

not so easy to put it off today- when you have someone over there, or someone getting ready to go back. why don’t you ask law if she is able to put it off today? why don’t you ask me, with the 4th ID getting ready to deploy again in september for a 15 month tour? maybe ask ron’s wife if she is able to put off worrying for her husband today. or any of the families of the 3455 troops who have lost their lives, why don’t you ak them if putting the top down on the targa and motoring out for a coffee makes their day?

because we don’t have that luxury. not today, nor tomorrow, nor any other day that has the blood of this nation running in the sand. so spare on the smart ass remarks.

13. By Charlie on May 28, 2007 | Reply

Ok. Again, I agree with you. So, then could you just acknowledge my point, that it would be easier for some of us to do that if you did something about veterans or the war?

14. By Charlie on May 28, 2007 | Reply

Basically Steve, when others stand up, we’ll stand down and go get that ice cream.