The Next Best Thing to an Endorsement

April 3rd, 2008 | by Jet Netwal |

Hands down, THE coveted Democratic endorsement is that of Al Gore. His fans in the base are huge, committed and active. A nod from Captain Planet could be a scale tipper. This explains why Gore has been so actively wooed by both Clinton and Obama, with numerous meetings between him and the candidates. Gore has insisted he intends to remain neutral.

Then Obama, as he is wont to do, dropped a bomb.

Sen. Barack Obama said Wednesday he would give Al Gore, a Nobel prize winner, a major role in an Obama administration to address the problem of global warming.

At a town-hall meeting, Obama was asked if he would tap the former vice president for his Cabinet to handle global warming.

“I would,” Obama said. “Not only will I, but I will make a commitment that Al Gore will be at the table and play a central part in us figuring out how we solve this problem. He’s somebody I talk to on a regular basis. I’m already consulting with him in terms of these issues, but climate change is real. It is something we have to deal with now, not 10 years from now, not 20 years from now.” — Newsvine

Oh, ho! Since the lack-o-love between the Clintons and the Gores is well documented, this is just hilarious to me. Hillary may not want Gore in any kind of power position in her administration, but Obama does, and for him, there’s a lot of oomph with the Gore folks that Captain Planet will head up the US tactics on global warming. In a way, this is tons better than an endorsement, since it demonstrates COMMITMENT to the cause, and trust me, that carries the weight with that crowd.

What I’m wondering is whether this was Obama’s idea, or was this Gore’s way of bypassing the “Judas” shtick while chivvying his supporters into the booths for Obama.

Either way, it’s great politics.

Hat Tip to Buzzflash

1. 14 Responses to “The Next Best Thing to an Endorsement”

2. By Dusty on Apr 3, 2008 | Reply

I hadn’t heard about this bit o’ news..and yes, it IS a good way to get around the whole endorsement bs invading our media lately.

Somehow, I never expected Gore to endorse Hillary because, as you noted, the history between them.

I just want the whole election thing over with..NOW. ;)

3. By Jet Netwal on Apr 3, 2008 | Reply

For political junkies, there’s something really sweet about the perfect end game. This little play was a slam dunk.

4. By Dusty on Apr 3, 2008 | Reply

I see it that way too. ;)

5. By Lisa on Apr 4, 2008 | Reply

Al Gore is getting more and more rich for Global Warming. The chances are greater of a city being wiped out by a nuclear or biological weapon and sooner.Unfortunately measures that they are so against now to try and prevent such an attack won’t be taken seriously until it happens then anything a democrat president does to try and prevent future attacks will be supported and encouraged by the media and Americans like when Echelon was “Necessary”. But Barrack wants us to disarm nuclear out weapons first because you know that when that happens all other communist countries will do the same.
    By the way the planet has warmed up since 1998,but don’t tell anyone.
    I bet if Al Gore did an all out documentary about terrorism, the View,20/20,Oprah and all the other talk shows would be having him on with open arms. Amazing how the media can help an agenda.

6. By Jet Netwal on Apr 4, 2008 | Reply

Heh. I knew if I wrote about Al Gore, I’d see Lisa comment. :-)

Why shouldn’t an expert be compensated for his/her expertise? You seem really bugged by this fact.

Back to topic, this was a really neat little play by the Obama camp. Game, set, soon to be match.

7. By Betsy on Apr 4, 2008 | Reply

I like it! While the media holds its breath waiting for Al to tip his hat toward one candidate, Barack has taken a huge leap toward his presidency by admitting that he’s already discussed global warming with AG! What can Hillary say to that?

8. By mr bigstuff on Apr 4, 2008 | Reply

lisa,
    you are a fool. please post again as further proof.

9. By Jet Netwal on Apr 4, 2008 | Reply

Big,
    Please don’t attack other posters in lieu of engaging in reasoned debate. Thanks.

10. By Lisa on Apr 4, 2008 | Reply

So Jet you are saying this nothing more than a play,or should I say ploy?
    And thank you for defending the attack by BS.

11. By Jet Netwal on Apr 4, 2008 | Reply

What I’m saying it that this was a brilliant political strategy, Lisa. It accomplished the objective, did it without drawing blood, and positioned the candidate nicely.

Sometimes I just enjoy the art of politics done well, which is what this was.

Oh, and np. Rules are rules. :-)

12. By Lisa on Apr 4, 2008 | Reply

Why doesn’t Obama say that his advisors tell him he would have to keep 60-80 thousand troops in Iraq till at least 2010? And here I thought 2 wrongs don’t make a right. So he can say things but not really have any intention of doing it like saying the first thing he is going to do is pull all troops.
    Al Gore knows how to make money but I don’t think he has enough knowledge about Global Warming because if he did he would debate on it but never accepted any debate he was asked to attend because he says “The Science is in”. He is just another politician setting the stage to raise taxes for CO2 and no one will complain about because they think paying CO2 tax will help Global Warming.
    Yes it is about Al Gore because as many people that follow his beliefs there are many that question them.
    Some strategy.

13. By Jet Netwal on Apr 5, 2008 | Reply

Advisors can say what they want, and the people being advised can choose to, or choose not to, follow that advise. I realize that this might be a foreign concept considering how the advisors to Bush only mirror approved postions, but out in the real world, advice is sought, weighed with other advise, and when decisions are made, they may or may not be similar to the advice.

As far as I’m concerned, the science IS in, Lisa. I think we need to move on to implementation.

The strategy I was refering to was clearly outlined in the post. Let’s get back to topic, OK?

14. By steve on Apr 5, 2008 | Reply

Can I jump in here?

Who nominated Al Gore as an expert? That is like saying Jesus Christ is our Lord and Savior… Except Jesus paid with his life… Gore is just getting paid…

(There is a sensible argument here somewhere…)

15. By Lisa on Apr 6, 2008 | Reply

Exactly Steve Gore is a business man and he is clearly in the business of making money and he found a “concept” to do it. All businesses have a “concept” and the corporations who have the money to invest in advertising their “concept” make the most money.
    I get what you meant Jet I was merely countering the fact that I don’t see how King Gore should even be part of that strategy,regardless of his love or lack there of for the Clintons.It may work for young voters but Obama probably has them already, wait 16 years olds can’t vote,thank God.
    And it was probably Gore offering Obama a cut on his profits he makes on Carbon Credits , like a back room deal .