I Was Invading Iraq Five Years Ago

April 7th, 2008 | by Steve O |

This is not a diary for arguing over the whether the invasion of Iraq was justified or not. Rather, this is a piece about what happens when chickenhawks get hold of the military and live out their repressed fantasies by giving it an unrealistic mission, holding it to an impractical timeline, and generally using its soldiers as human chess pieces.

1. 6 Responses to “I Was Invading Iraq Five Years Ago”

2. By Craig R. Harmon on Apr 7, 2008 | Reply

No post including the words “chickenhawk” and “McCain” should ever even cross the mind of anyone, no matter how partisan or anti-McCain the author might be. I suppose the author will say that the “chickenhawk” was intended only for Bush but the picture is of Bush and McCain and is labeled “Bush and McCain”. Very offensive to me, and I’ve never been in the military, let alone tortured by an enemy in a prisoner of war camp. At the very least, this is guilt by association.

3. By Dusty on Apr 7, 2008 | Reply

Both of them are warmongering fools..so the association is quite clear.

4. By Craig R. Harmon on Apr 7, 2008 | Reply

I did not and am not contesting that they both support the continuation of the US forces in Iraq. I contested using “chickenhawk” in a post that references McCain and Bush as equals. While the “chickenhawk” term may be valid in reference to Bush, it certainly has no validity in reference to McCain.

5. By Dusty on Apr 7, 2008 | Reply

So you are trying to stifle free speech Craig? As long as the author isn’t screaming Fire in a crowded movie theater..who the hell cares? His entire post doesn’t rest on that one word.

Your nit-picking Craig. Its a friggin verb.Anyone with two brain cells to rub together knows McCain was a POW..Christ, he reminds us daily.

6. By Craig R. Harmon on Apr 7, 2008 | Reply

I’m not stifling anyone’s free speech. I’m pointing out that McCain’s no chickenhawk and the post gives the impression that he is and does so in a manner that I find offensive. So far from stifling free speech, I’m adding to it. I haven’t, after all, suggested that the post should be removed by the powers that be or edited because it offends me. I’m suggesting that posters ought to be more careful about how they use the word “chickenhawk”, not that they never use it.

I’ll stop now. Last word to whoever wants it.

7. By Jet Netwal on Apr 8, 2008 | Reply

Beyond the nit focused on here, that is a very powerful personal account. I encourage everyone to click the link and read in full.