Boycott The Olympics?

April 9th, 2008 | by Tom Harper |

It’s a tough call. Should we boycott the Olympics in Beijing this summer? This column explores both sides; the pros and cons of boycotting the Olympics. And this column is in favor of a boycott.

A boycott would ruin everything for the athletes who’ve spent their lives training for this event. Why should they be derailed by a political situation that they didn’t contribute to?

On the other hand, China is one of the world’s worst police states. Since the mid twentieth century they’ve slaughtered millions of their citizens and wrecked the lives of hundreds of millions more. Why should they be granted the honor of hosting the 2008 Olympics?

To steal a phrase from one of my fellow bloggers: What say you?

1. 7 Responses to “Boycott The Olympics?”

2. By Dusty on Apr 9, 2008 | Reply

China was given the honor of hosting the Olympics several years ago. We, the universal we, just now start bitching about it and call for a boycott?

I was aghast then as I am now,China’s abusive human rights history is well documented. But the only thing that has changed is the civil unrest in Tibet.

The US will not formally boycott, it is up to the individual athletes to do that. Anyway, that is how I see it.

3. By Jet Netwal on Apr 9, 2008 | Reply

I think the only way to keep the Oympics a non-political venue for international good will is to, you know, actually DO THAT.

So, no. While I think China has LOADS it must improve on, the channels to accomplish that shouldn’t include the Olympics.

It goes without saying that if America hosts while continuing the Bush policy of invading sovereign nations illegally (Hi, Iran!), then chances are we will be in the crosshairs of a politicized Olympics.

Besides, it is a gesture made by a nation at the cost of the blood, sweat and years of their atheletes. Empty and costly.

4. By manapp99 on Apr 9, 2008 | Reply

I agree with Jet and Dusty. The atheletes should not be political fodder. The group that should be getting the heat should be the IOC for the decision to give the games to the Chinese. We should not boycott the opening ceremonies either as they are part of the overall experience for the atheletes. Even the well meaning protestors over the torch run are doing little to help the situation and much to ruin this once in a life time experience.

5. By Jet Netwal on Apr 9, 2008 | Reply

“I agree with Jet and Dusty.

That grinding noise you hear is the cessation of the earth’s spin. :-D

6. By manapp99 on Apr 9, 2008 | Reply

don’t get used to it. :)

7. By Paul Watson on Apr 9, 2008 | Reply

As a point of interest, China made all sorts of promises about how it would improve freedom and democracy when it got the Olympics. Of course, as there couldn’t be a plan B because you couldn’t have two Olympic cities while we checked their claims, maybe the IOC should have said “Sure. You make the changes, then you’ll get the next available Olympics”. Nice idea, but hopelessly impractical.

I would say that the politicians could boycott the opening ceremony. Let’s face it, I doubt many atheletes will care that much if a couple of hundred politicians aren’t in the audience of tens of thousands.

8. By manapp99 on Apr 9, 2008 | Reply

I agree that the atheletes would not much care about the absence of the pols at the opening ceremonies however the media would focus on this and not the purpose of the games. As it is there is too much focus just as in the torch run. This should be a time to have a strict ban on politics and just focus on these remarkable atheletes. Crap, I just looked up athelete (kept thinking it didn’t look right when I typed it) and found it should be athlete. Ooops. Boycotts as a symbolic measure mean little execpt to impress voters back home. Better that heads of state work to help the people of Tibet in a real way and not just symbolic window dressing aimed at approval ratings.