Conservatives Are Happier Than Liberals

May 9th, 2008 | by Tom Harper |

Of course they are. Ignorance is bliss.

Seriously though, this article only deals with one aspect of the liberal/conservative divide: whether or not government should be involved in the economy.

This used to be one of the main differences between the two parties. Republicans believe in individual freedom and responsibility, with a limited role for government. Democrats believe in a larger government that helps the needy and protects people against unscrupulous business practices.

As far as this issue is concerned, it makes sense that economic conservatives would be happier than liberals. The article says conservatives are better at rationalizing economic inequalities. The people who scored highest on the happiness scale were the ones who agreed with these statements:

“It is not really that big a problem if some people have more of a chance in life than others;” and

“This country would be better off if we worried less about how equal people are.”

But “free enterprise” vs. “too much government meddling” is no longer the main issue. The Conservative “Limited Government” umbrella now includes a shitload of rightwing knuckledragging wackjobs, and their ideal government is about as “limited” as the supply of salt in the Pacific Ocean.

Warmongers, xenophobes, racists: guess which party these losers are aligned with. Are they happy? And who’s gonna build that multi-billion dollar high tech fence around our entire border so we can keep them icky furriners out — a “limited” government?

As we speak, our small “hands-off” government is pouring hundreds of billions of tax dollars into an endless war; and similar wars are being planned. And since 9/11 our “limited” government has unleashed the Patriot Act and other Big Brother atrocities that should infuriate the traditional Conservative.

We’re all familiar with those ubiquitous rightwing talking heads, columnists and bloggers whose sole reason for existence is: Fear! Paranoia! They’re coming to get us! If we pull out of Iraq there’ll be a bloodbath! Those Islamofascists are gonna come over here and kill us as soon as we turn our backs! You don’t support our troops! You hate America!

Do these people sound happy to you?

And take these hate-spewing gaybashing Biblehumpers (please!). Guess which party panders to them. Are they happy? And who would enforce all of the anti-gay, anti-abortion, anti-birth control, anti-everything laws that these assholes are clamoring for? A “limited” government? A private company?

1. 13 Responses to “Conservatives Are Happier Than Liberals”

2. By steve on May 9, 2008 | Reply

The name calling usually starts with you liberals so…bleh,

Off to enjoy the sunshine!!

3. By rube cretin on May 9, 2008 | Reply

Delusion is a wonderful thing as long as you keep it to yourself.

4. By steve on May 9, 2008 | Reply

I will keep delusion to myself… when you stop being so sad…

5. By Chris Radulich on May 9, 2008 | Reply

The name calling usually starts with you liberals so
    Check this out steve

6. By rube cretin on May 9, 2008 | Reply

Steve,

thank you. now i realize the more you show your feelings, the more people can find ways to hurt you.

7. By steve on May 9, 2008 | Reply

I am not hurt Rube… I am quite pleasant. I understand that people cannot be as happy as me because as the article Tom implies, liberals have trouble rationalizing people less fortunate.

Chris… I was looking at the poster… Looks like he started. And as I said down the chain, he probably chucked stuff at soldiers coming back from Vietnam when he was a kid so…

And so I called Steve O a dork… He calls me things too. We get along. In fact, I would bet he and I have tons in common as I do with many others on this blog. We just like working the little issues.

I am off task here… but I really enjoyed this post. I saw the article the other day and when I read it I thought, “Duh!” I don’t sit and worry about shit. I don’t look a the gas station prices and say, “Damn… I wonder how that guy in the beat up car is paying for it”.

And what is wrong with fearing terrorists? It’s not like than haven’t attacked us before. Do we do nothing? I think Tom is misinformed about how conservatives are dealing with fear. We fear it but we move on and enjoy ourselves. We conservatives had the same mentality as a lot of liberals out there we’d be hiding in our homes afraid to go to work.

I don’t know about the rest of you but I fly a lot!!! My carbon foot print is way up there because of it. I fear that some crazy dude is gonna take out my plane. But then I read that more people are killed being kicked by donkeys than plane crashes for any reason and I move on and check out the hot stewardesses. (if there are any)

8. By Chris Radulich on May 9, 2008 | Reply

Fear lead to stupidity and what is the old saying abrave man dies but once a coward a thousand times.

Ps the man in the picture was probably a disillusioned right winger since they are the ones always bring up nazis

9. By steve on May 9, 2008 | Reply

I don’t know Chris… it seems like the really crazy left wingers hate Israel and thus have a closer association with the Nazis. They all want us to be socialists, correct?

10. By Craig R. Harmon on May 9, 2008 | Reply

I don’t know about other conservatives but I’m bitter. I cling to religion and guns and xenophobic bigotry.

11. By Chris Radulich on May 9, 2008 | Reply

If you read the comments you would notice it is always the right wingers who bring up the nazis

12. By mr bigstuff on May 9, 2008 | Reply

of course conservatives are happy. their poster boy w has accomplished everything they elected him to do. a massive shift of wealth is underway from all americans to the oil companies. the economy is in shambles. americans are regarded as simpled minded bumbling buffoons by the rest of the world due to the actions and attempted “speeches” of w the fool. the federal government has been emasculated to the point where the justice department has become a modern american gestapo that encourages incompetence and corruption. the e.p.a. encourages pollution. homeland security (the biggest joke of all the cruel jokes and hoaxes perpetrated by these fools) couldn’t secure a quarter acre fenced in backyard. under w’s “leadership”, the greatest military in the world is losing 2 wars and is in the worst shape since valley forge. and the goddamned fool that caused it all is marrying off his daughter on a dirt farm in texas with no care in the world.
    now, these morons are gonna sit back for the next 4 years and criticize those who have to clean up the fucking mess these fools made. these idoits are too fucking dumb to know how fucked up everything is. fox news has told them everything is peachy keen and they are gullible enough to believe it. these fools are threatening to stay away from the polls this november because john w. mcsame is not conservative enough for them. what the fuck does that mean? does it mean he can string 4 words together without stuttering and stammering? does it mean he thinks before he acts? does it mean that he values a human life more than a dollar bill? is he not corrupt and incompetent enogh? how ’bout the fools who say “i voted for w ………..twice, but i wouldnt do it again”. so it took them 8 fucking years to figure out w was the biggest fuck up since ponzi. talk about being a little slow on the uptake. but what else can you say about someone who finds pleasure in driving down a frozen canadian road in 8 degree weather with the window down listening to bryan adams cranked up on the radio? these fools are nothing but little children who refuse to grow up. children who are always happy in their sheltered little sunday school world because their parents are out busting ass to keep it that way and make sure they don’t have to worry their pitiful little “minds” with the problems their parents have to work so hard to overcome. here endeth the lesson.

13. By manapp99 on May 9, 2008 | Reply

Some talk of the negativism of the half empty glass. Bigstuff shows how it looks when it is not the glass but the whiskey bottle. I see that the Dems are already making excuses for the future failings of Obama. Blame it on Bush. The same way he blames the inaccurate intel on WMD from the 90’s on Bush.

Amazing the influence Bush had on the CIA when he was governor of Texas.

14. By Jersey McJones on May 10, 2008 | Reply

Like I always say, there’s a fine line between positivism and fatalism.

JMJ