About Those Lazy Blacks…

May 14th, 2008 | by Jet Netwal |

Tell me again why we need a black President in these United States of America…

“I have a much broader base to build a winning coalition on,” she said. As evidence, Clinton cited an Associated Press article that she said “found how Sen. Obama’s support among working, hard-working Americans, white Americans, is weakening again, and how whites in both states who had not completed college were supporting me.”  — Hillary Clinton 05/13/08, USA Today

Because then, maybe, juuuust maybe, this BS will stop. It insults and alienates blacks, and West Virginia logic be damned, NO FREAKING DEMOCRAT WINS WITHOUT THE BLACK VOTE. Not the Bubba vote, the Black vote. So, if the issue is electability, a “winning coalition” as she stated, how, exactly, does she have it?

::crickets::

Why does this even need to be pointed out!?! It’s that ever morphing HRC logic standard. Shit matters, except when it doesn’t. There’s your black vote, tucked in there beside caucus states and Super Tuesday. Who’s driving this one-eyed horse? (Hey! Let’s turn left and put on a show.)

It’d be better if they got their asses to the left, period. Sheesh.

1. 13 Responses to “About Those Lazy Blacks…”

2. By Craig R. Harmon on May 14, 2008 | Reply

Hey Jet, I agree. If they got their asses to the left, they’d be travelling to the, um, right, wouldn’t they? Unless they were walking backward… ;-)

In other news, a recent ABC/WaPo poll and a recent USA Today poll both show, by wide margins, Democrats DON’T want Hillary to drop out or the primaries to end. I guess voters like their votes to mean something.

Voters are just wacky that way. :-D

3. By Jet Netwal on May 14, 2008 | Reply

The starting point is right of center CH. Left is left.Hillary can slug it out until June 3 if she wants, far be it from me to stop her racking up debt. I just think that it doesn’t demonstrate much in the critical thinking skill department.

More to the point of the post, I don’t see how alienating a core voter group in favor of one that’s not as big of a factor, and doing it by racist innuendo benefits any of us in general, except possibly by lending creedence to racist’s tendancies. Not my idea of a silver lining.

4. By Craig R. Harmon on May 15, 2008 | Reply

Alienating the core? Jet, the vast majority of Democrats DON’T WANT HILLARY TO DROP OUT OF THE RACE. Two recent polls show this. How can Hillary be alienating the core by doing exactly what the majority of Democrats want?

5. By Jet Netwal on May 15, 2008 | Reply

You misunderstood me, Craig. I said alienating a core group of voters, in this case black voters, but pandering to another smaller group — I wasn’t discussing Dems en masse.

6. By Craig R. Harmon on May 15, 2008 | Reply

Okay, you’re right, I did misunderstand you. However, that’s inevitable in a race that is so tied to identity politics as this one is. You cannot help but turn off a core Democratic base. Obama, apparently excites blacks and upper income and higher educated liberals but turns off blue collar working class folks. What Democrat could win the general election without them? And the candidate most responsible for turning off the working class stiff is Barack Obama. Clinton’s just capitalizing on that. This was inevitable, I suppose. Democrats should have known better than to choose two identity politicians to run against one another. You could elect the first woman president or the first black president but trying to run off the one against the other was bound for disaster. I’m not saying it can’t work out for the Dems. Obama will probably be the next President but running these two against one another was the worst possible strategy. If anything could have made a Republican electable in this cycle, allowing to identity politicians to run against one another was, I think, the best strategy to achieve that end.

7. By Jet Netwal on May 15, 2008 | Reply

I know how you feel, Craig. I do think it’s important to remember that these groups, for the most part are not all or nothing Obama or Clinton, but simply percentages of the groups. It is easy for the media to yammer that this group is Obama’s and this one Clinton’s, but with the exception of the 90% Black vote, they are splitting them at less heavy percentages.

It’s been long spring, and we’ve been told a lot of stuff that might sell papers, but it isn’t always that simple. :-)

As for your premise that “running these two against one another was the worst possible strategy”, who is the mastermind? The field was winnowed by the voters with a little monkeying by Limbaugh. The majority liked these two the best — no grander strategy than that.

8. By Craig R. Harmon on May 15, 2008 | Reply

Jet,

Yes, you’re right. No strategy…except, while I’ve never been a part of the Party decision-making (aside from as a voter) but my impression is that there are party heavy-weights in both parties who wield the kind of power that decides who the slate of potential nominees will or won’t be. Or maybe there should be. This was a disaster that was foreseeable, if not exactly predictable. Obama, being the younger of the two, should have been told something like:

“Look Barack, we’re going to take our shot at electing the first woman president this year; next time around, we’ll all go all out to elect the first black president and you’ll be the guy. Wait out this one and you’ll have our support in the next one.”

Hey, machine politics worked for Democrats, for Richard J. Daley and for Chicago since then like a charm. I’m just saying that this was avoidable. I just don’t believe that anyone thinking of running for president, in either party, isn’t pressured in this way by their party bigs to do what’s best for the party.

9. By 1138 on May 16, 2008 | Reply

And even in the discussion we see “turns off blue collar working class folks” used to exclude black America even though the largest portion of black America is working class blue collar.

Obama appealed to White America before he did black America, he appealed to blue collar America before he appealed to tea cup America.
    It’s only as it’s progressed that, that’s been turned on it’s head - it’s time that Barry turned it back. He’s far more of a working class guy than McCain ever was.

10. By Jet Netwal on May 16, 2008 | Reply

A blast from the past! Welcome, old friend. :-)

You’re spot on, of course. The framing is farce.

11. By Craig R. Harmon on May 16, 2008 | Reply

The framing he’s done to himself via his own foot-filled mouth. ;-) Once he’s quipped to a bunch of rich West Coasters about bitter fly-over people clinging to religion and guns, distrustful of ferners, married to a wife who only for the first time in her adult life is proud of her country, friend to former militant radicals Ayers and Dohrn, now nice, respectable, elite radical Ayers and Dohrn, long-time spiritual child of a pastor who damns America, I’m not sure how he comes back from the damage he’s caused himself. His ‘bitter’ comment has shades of “I voted for the $87 billion before I voted against it.” Once out of the mouth, the explanation sounds like disingenuous spin rather than explanation and the only thing that remains in voters’ minds is the original quote.

12. By Craig R. Harmon on May 16, 2008 | Reply

Shades of SNL: the Not Yet Ready for Prime Time Player.

13. By Craig R. Harmon on May 16, 2008 | Reply

“His wife’s ashamed of America, his pastor damns America, his friends blew up America–Vote Obama ‘08″

Now there’s a bumper-sticker for you! Okay, a bit wordy for a bumper-sticker but it makes a hell of a sound-bite, don’t you think?

14. By Jet Netwal on May 16, 2008 | Reply

I’ve outgrown gotcha politics, Craig. Our problems can’t be solved by sound-bites and zingers. Just because the media thinks America is stupid doesn’t mean I have to buy into it or believe it of myself. If they want to spend time on the non-issues you deliniate above, I’ll continue to research backgrounds, read speech transcripts and observe.