Obama has Clinched the Nomination

June 3rd, 2008 | by Steve O |

Barack Obama has effectively clinched the Democratic presidential nomination, based on an Associated Press tally of convention delegates.

The tally put Obama over the top Tuesday, ahead of the results from the day’s final primaries in Montana and South Dakota. The Illinois senator becomes the first black candidate ever to lead his party into a fall campaign for the White House. Obama outlasted former first lady Hillary Rodham Clinton in a historic contest and now faces Republican Sen. John McCain of Arizona for the presidency.

1. 21 Responses to “Obama has Clinched the Nomination”

2. By rube cretin on Jun 3, 2008 | Reply

excellent. now on to the general and governing. go to this link to gain an understanding of what is before us. i think this is one of the most cogent descriptions of our situation i have read.

3. By Jet Netwal on Jun 3, 2008 | Reply

Woot!

4. By steve on Jun 3, 2008 | Reply

Old News

5. By Craig R. Harmon on Jun 4, 2008 | Reply

England has a new strategy for battling Islamic extremists in its midst: counseling…because they are, well, just misguided. I’m sure a little talk therapy will cut right through all that indoctrination from the Quran about killing infidels.

I give Great Britain about 30 years before the Muslims take over and subject the entire realm to Sharia law. Anyone who resists will get counseling…at the dull edge of a sword as their heads are separated from their shoulders, broadcast live on BBC-M(uslim Edition).

A nation that will not defend itself deserves whatever they get.

6. By Craig R. Harmon on Jun 4, 2008 | Reply

Sorry, forgot the link.

And sorry for going off topic. I just sort of couldn’t believe it. It was like I’d slipped into some sort of bizarro world.

Anyway, congratulations to Obama. I mean it. He was by far the better candidate with the more appealing message. I can’t say I hope he becomes our next president. You’ll understand, I’m sure. However, I do think he will be.

If he IS our next president, I intend to be a respectful opposition to his plans. Congratulations again. Well done!

7. By Craig R. Harmon on Jun 4, 2008 | Reply

And I hope Michelle Obama is proud, if not of America, at least of her party today. Well, proud of those segments of her party that weren’t just out and out mean, voting for Clinton.

8. By mr bigstuff on Jun 4, 2008 | Reply

craig,
    most times you seem imtelligent. england will never fall under sharia law. come on man. you sound like these dumbass redneck fools here in east tennessee when you spout that shit. if you keep it up, the snake handlers, tongue speakers and home schooled will surely welcome you here in what is unfortunately bush country.

9. By Craig R. Harmon on Jun 4, 2008 | Reply

Hey, the archbishop of someplace or another has declared it inevitable, that was his word, inevitable that at least some aspects of Sharia law WILL be enacted in England. Nor do I think it will just be a matter of Muslim demands but multiculturalists who will back those demands. I mean, COUNSELING?!? Give me a break. Then there’s the demographic situation. Muslims are reproducing at a higher rate than the non-Muslim population. At some point, it will be merely a matter of democracy in action.

So unless the Anglican archbishop handles snakes, and has spent an unusually large amount of time working in the sun and, thus, his neck has an unusually red cast to it, I think it possible that you’ve maybe gone a bit overboard, there.

I mean, if the best they can do is counseling, they’re doomed.

10. By Paul Watson on Jun 4, 2008 | Reply

Craig,
    The same archbishop also believes in God, so it’s not as if he’s short on saying things are true without any evidence at all. The vast majority of Muslims don’t want Sharia law, anyway. Sorry, but Bigstuff is right this time.

Incidentally, we already have aspects of Sharia law in the UK. Banking regulations were amended to allow Sharia compliant mortgages to be created. The same to ensure Halal meat. So far the world hasn’t ended.

Finally, at the moment, the Muslim population in total, extremist fringe and sensible majority, is less than 5% of the UK population. For it to conqure the country in 30 years, one generation, would be a pretty impressive feat of breeding.

So sorry, but you are completely wrong on this. The Archbishop is right that some aspects might be adopted, but they’re not the aspects you are thinking of. And like Bigstuff, I do expect better than that irrational hysteria from you. You’re obviously having a bad day.

What’s your alternative to people who think it’s a good idea to fight against the evil West but haven’t actually done anything yet, btw, as this one doesn’t grab you? Arrest them for thought crimes?

11. By Craig R. Harmon on Jun 4, 2008 | Reply

Paul,

Well, it wouldn’t be the first time I’ve been wrong! ;-)

But since the article that I linked to lists counselling as an alternative to prosecution, I’m assuming that this is people who’ve done something prosecutable under British law, no? It doesn’t say what law. Are thought crimes now punishable in Great Britain? And if so, how does that square with your contention that England is still a country with great freedom?

I’ll admit to ignorance here on that point, namely, I don’t know what currently prosecutable crime counseling is being offered as an alternative. Maybe if I knew that, I could make better sense of this.

12. By Craig R. Harmon on Jun 4, 2008 | Reply

As for alternatives, one could strongly support insisting upon adoption of traditional British values, that moving to Britain means becoming British not remaining culturally and religiously Pakistani tribesmen living in England. How about not allowing polygamous Muslims in your country, let alone supporting them with government benefits? Become British or, if you prefer remaining culturally a Pakistani extremist, go back to Pakistan? Marginalize your multiculturalists? Go back to insisting that Brits ARE culturally superior and, while you are no longer in the business of imposing British culture upon those in the India and elsewhere, you at least insist upon imposing British culture upon those in Britain?

That’s probably my ignorance talking but it does seem as though GB and many other Euros have let the multiculturalists and poorly thought out immigration policies lead you down a blind alley that can only end badly.

13. By Craig R. Harmon on Jun 4, 2008 | Reply

I should say that I do not mean by the above that you insist that Muslim immigrants cease to be Muslims but that you insist that religio-cultural things like honor killing, polygamy, adherence to more extreme Muslim ideology, etc. are inconsistent with being an immigrant into and a resident of, let alone a citizen of your country.

14. By Craig R. Harmon on Jun 4, 2008 | Reply

Hand outs to all who wish to immigrate to Great Britain: “Living, working, and studying in Great Britain is a privilege for foreigners, not a right. If you wish to live and work and study in Great Britain, you must observe and adopt our customs of liberty which may be quite different from your customs in your present country. That means a, b, c, d, …; 1, 2, 3, 4, … are incompatible with British culture. If you cannot agree to these cultural demands, do not bother immigrating to Great Britain. If you do immigrate to Great Britain and you insist in either ignoring British culture or insist upon maintaining cultural practices that are inconsistent with British culture, you will be deported. Period. If you wish to live among us, become like us. If not, we do not want you.”

And then enforce that.

That will drive multiculturalists nuts but they’re the ones that have given you home-grown terrorists They are the ones that have given France months of car burning and violent riots. They are not to be thanked for their gift, they are to be marginalized and ostracized. Start believing in your own Western culture and values enough to enforce them upon your people.

Just a suggestion.

15. By Craig R. Harmon on Jun 4, 2008 | Reply

And, Mr. Bigstuff, just because we may disagree upon policy issues and their likely consequences for a country’s future doesn’t make me less intelligent. It means we disagree, that’s all.

16. By Craig R. Harmon on Jun 4, 2008 | Reply

Of course, one has to actually believe that Western culture and values are better than the alternatives and are worth insisting upon. Most Brits may be well beyond that point.

Nor do I mean to suggest that American immigration policy has been rational and optimal. Far from it but at least we seem to have managed to better assimilate our emigrees into our culture.

Yes, our irrational and suboptimal policies allowed at least 19 outsiders in to train for and to carry out 9/11. However, to my knowledge, we have very few Americans who have actually waged war upon America or Americans. One of them, the so called American Al Qaeda, has left America on his own to wage his war. Better there than here, I say. So that is to say that we have a long way to go before our own policies of screening entrants and keeping track of those who are here are optimal. We still have work to do here.

17. By Tom Harper on Jun 4, 2008 | Reply

Craig:

“If he IS our next president, I intend to be a respectful opposition to his plans.”

Sorry, no dice. There’s no such thing as “respectful opposition” any more. If Obama gets elected and you disagree with him on anything, it means you Hate America.

18. By Craig R. Harmon on Jun 4, 2008 | Reply

Tom,

Allllllrighty then… ;-)

19. By Jet Netwal on Jun 4, 2008 | Reply

Funny how that stuff isn’t nearly as great when it’s used against you. ;-)

20. By Craig R. Harmon on Jun 4, 2008 | Reply

Hey, I can’t control how anyone else views me (any more than anyone can control how others view them); all I can do is be respectful in opposing those policies that I oppose and explain them to the best of my ability in a manner that shows that my opposition is out of love for America, not hate. If others choose to view that as hating America, let ‘em! That’s their problem. Since I’m powerless to make someone think something other than what they think, except by reasoned persuasion, it’s pointless to get bothered by that kind of thing.

The only person that I can control the thoughts and emotions of is me. What others think of me is their business.

That’s sort of my credo for living on the blogosphere.

21. By Paul Watson on Jun 5, 2008 | Reply

Craig,
    Honour killings? Illegal.
    Polygamy? Illegal.
    Terrorism? Illegal.

Once again, you seem to be assuming that a lot of things are permitted when they are not.

Oh, and thanks for comparing the entire Pakistani-British community to the 19 hijackers. Really smooth argument. What’s the al Qaida equivalent of Godwin’s Law?

Also maybe America should do the same and tell all those Italian-Americans and Irish-Americans to drop the Italin or Irish part or get back home to their own country? Of course not, but that’s what you think we should do. To quote something you may be familiar with: Physician, heal thyself.

And while we’re at it, ‘enforce culture’? Great commitement to freedom you’ve got there, Craig. You want to force people to adopt our culture of binge drinking, selfishness and permisiveness. Hey, maybe we should apply that to the Bible belt and ‘force’ them to get with the culture of America and accept gay marriage and prescribing the pill.

You need to think about what you’re saying a bit more, Craig. Because right now, you’re sounding like a tin-pot dictator and I don’t think that’s where your politics really lie.

22. By Craig R. Harmon on Jun 5, 2008 | Reply

Paul,

You’re probably right. I do think your multiculturists have led you down a dark path.

That’s all.