We Interrupt this Sniping…

June 18th, 2008 | by Jet Netwal |

To bring you a view of our moon setting over the Caribbean, courtesy of NASA.

We have such a beautiful planet. When I look t this I can’t understand why striving to care for her is even debatable.

1. 17 Responses to “We Interrupt this Sniping…”

2. By Lisa on Jun 18, 2008 | Reply

I think everyone cares for the planet. But why should we have to pay for the privilage of polluting it. The rich can aford to pay so they can pollute more,the poor can’t afford to pay so they get to pollute for free and here wer are right back to the middle class who will paying for it all.
    Has Al Gore made his home pollution compliant or does he not need to because he’s making money from it and can afford to pollute more.

3. By Jet Netwal on Jun 18, 2008 | Reply

You basically proved my point, Lisa. Why should you? Because it’s all of ours. Whether you personally pollute big or small, we all go down with the ship.

It’s not just money, you know. It’s making a commintment to change your personal behavior and consumption. When enough people make that shift, it will make a difference.

4. By steve on Jun 18, 2008 | Reply

Well Jet, Jesus will save us all as soon as Bush steps down from office.. No need to save the planet

/snark

5. By Jet Netwal on Jun 18, 2008 | Reply

God helps those who help themselves, Steve.
    :-)

6. By Lisa on Jun 18, 2008 | Reply

Jet don’t you think people are more aware and trying to change their personal behavior?
    Again I did not say “Why should we” as in why should we care? I mean why should we have to pay for the privilage of polluting?
    You know like when Al Gore jets across the country he doesn’t have to feel bad because he’s paying carbon credits. Actually he’s making the money bcase it goes right back into his company.
    I do believe people are being more cautious. Hey it’s the 60’s all over again.
    I can do my part without having to pay Al Gore and his new concept of Going Green.

7. By Jet Netwal on Jun 18, 2008 | Reply

Gore is one in billions, Lisa. You can’t decide not to steward the planet because you don’t like one person. That’s not very logical.

I think people are starting to try to change. We’re going to have to pay too. It’s a multiprong solution.

Nobody said it would be fair, Lisa. The alternative is far worse.

8. By Lisa on Jun 18, 2008 | Reply

Pying is not a solution Jet. It’s all a poly to redistribute money. The US’s money in particular.

9. By Lisa on Jun 18, 2008 | Reply

Paying is not a solution Jet. It’s all a ploy to redistribute money. The US’s money in particular.
    That’s better

So in this terrible economy where people are just making it you think it’s OK to make them pay for more? Nothing personal but isn’t that contradictory?

10. By Jet Netwal on Jun 18, 2008 | Reply

Not addressing something simply because of greed is criminal, Lisa.

You and I both know we are not asking citizens to write checks, here. This is a case of money already collected being distributed to address a problem. All tax money serves that purpose.

11. By Lisa on Jun 18, 2008 | Reply

12. By Paul Merda on Jun 18, 2008 | Reply

Jet & Lisa,

I agree that we should do more to protect our only home in the universe, just wanted to get that out of the way.

But sadly, as history and economic theory both prove, few people ever do the right thing because its the right thing to do. When it comes right down to it, people will react only when it is economically favorable for them. So as gas prices rise above and beyond $4/gal you will see more people taking mass transit, buying more fuel efficient cars etc. This shift is already occuring. The only thing we can do is find ways to incentivize positive environmental “stuff” and disincentivize the negative. That’s where government CAN make the difference. Tax the bad, tax breaks for the good…so simple. Tax the SUV and large trucks with a federal “environmental” tax while giving tax breaks to people who buy hybrids and put Solar Panels on their house… A simple solution for a complex problem which makes people pay for bad environmental decisions and rewards them for good decisions.

13. By Lisa on Jun 18, 2008 | Reply

See Paul therein lies the problem. Only people who can afford these things get a break.
    You tax big trucks that directly affects the trucking companies thus putting yet more people out of business and a job. Why not tax every business then. You can’t target certain companies when their livelihood is at stake.
    Do you realize all these extra taxes are going to put the burden on where the buck stops…you and me and the rest of the struggling middle class. I say give incentives but not punish if you want to help the environment and the economy.

14. By steve on Jun 18, 2008 | Reply

I gotta say something.

I choose to own a vehicle that gets 16mpg at now almost 5 bucks a gallon. I bought the vehicle because it is super cool and I like the 0-60 capabilities. But I am a car guy… I have two sports cars because that is my hobby.

But peel back the onion a bit and what do you find?

An energy efficient household

We recycle

Outdoor lighting is low voltage

Everylight bulb in the house is fluorescent

I make a concious effort to close windows when it is warm…

My wife drives the Cayenne and only drove 11,500 miles in one year.

Her carbon foot print on that scale is 9. Under 20 is considered good.

Mine is 37… But I fly twice a month or more round trip… and I only drive to the airport and back… mostly. I am one of the few that probably needs to fly for what I do.

And if I remove the flying I am below 9. So… who is making strides to save the enivornment? What would a Prius do for me? Not much I take it. What would the benefit be taxing me more? Not much…

15. By Jet Netwal on Jun 18, 2008 | Reply

Perhaps incentives for consumers and big polluting businesses with punishments only for the latter?

Obviously Steve’s hummer has less to do with this than Neenah Paper, for example.

16. By mr bigstuff on Jun 18, 2008 | Reply

steve,
    way to work. really. you’re obviously in california. how many hydrogen fuel stations are in operation there and where are they?

17. By steve on Jun 18, 2008 | Reply

Jet… Hummer is gone! Too many “liberals” would attack you in a parking lot. I had one hide behind the car once and jump out at me. Seriously!! A lot of them were on bikes. They would roll up and start shouting pollution and rapist epitaphs… I worried about my son, who is gonna turn 2 soon…

The real reason I got rid of it is because of the pain I am going through with these MS-like symptoms I have.

Bigstuff… the hydrogen fuel stations are all in So Cal from what I read in the USA Today yesterday. There is a new Honda Hydrogen Fuel cell car coming out. The fueling stations are supposed to in Santa Monica, West LA and out in the valley about 15 miles north of Santa Monica and it is going to start as a “celevrity” thing. It’s regional there… you won’t be able to get far on the Honda… maybe 275 miles cutting close if you want to run to San Diego and back. Leonardo DiCaprio can run from Brentwood or Westwood or Beverly Hills or where ever he lives, stop at the fueling station in Santa Monica and then head to the beach… maybe even down to Laguna Beach and back and not worry about re-fueling.

You’d think the fueling stations would be in Sacramento where the politicians are. It would totally work in San Francisco. I have no problem with alternative cars… Just give me Horse Power. New Porsche Cayenne in 2009 will be hybrid… 350 HP 30 mpg high. Now that makes sense. Not a Prius that looks as if it is going to get beat down on the freeway.

You can be a conservative and be environmentally conscious… But you do not need to go overboard to make a statement. If we all start with 10% then we get 10% benefit. We just got to start.

I have no gas powered yard tools either…

18. By rube cretin on Jun 18, 2008 | Reply

“The disconnect between man and the size of his aquarium is complete.”