Bolthouse Farms giving money to fund anti-gay marriage efforts

July 2nd, 2008 | by Jones of the Nile |

BolthouseAs reported on many GLBT blogs over the past few days and weeks, the founder of Bolthouse Farms — the company that manufactures natural and organic juices (www.bolthouse.com) — has given $100,000 to fund efforts to overturn gay marriage in California. Pshaw. I used to really love their Vanilla Chai flavor and a bunch of their other juices, but alas, I don’t like giving money to companies that try to take away my rights. It’s kind of akin to giving money to Focus on the Family, or the Republican National Committee.

Specifically, William Bolthouse, the founder of the company, gave $100K to the National Organization for Marriage California, which is an organization dedicated to overturning gay marriage in California (and preventing California from recognizing same-sex marriages committed in other states). And while William Bolthouse doesn’t have any controlling shares in the company (he sold them in 2005 to a corporation, Madison Dearborn Partners), his family still owns about 40% of the shares of Bolthouse Farms.

And if you want a real kick in the pants, check out Bolthouse Farms mission statement. I’m not making this up. It’s online here.

The purpose of this Company is to glorify God through our business transactions, our work, and our relationships. It is further our desire to bring honor and glory to the Name of Jesus Christ by following God’s Word in all of our dealings with employees, suppliers, and customers. God’s Work as contained in His Inspired Scriptures will be the final authority in all Corporate matters concerning direction, decisions, and disputes.

I don’t know what to make of that paragraph, other Than God Apparently Likes Capitalizing Words That Don’t Really Need To Be Capitalized. So much for it just being a juice company.

Bolthouse Farms is carried in a number of different grocery stores, including Whole Foods and Wild Oats (to name a few of the major organic chains that carry the stuff). But it’s critically important to send the message that this is inappropriate corporate behavior. Barring changes on Bolthouse’s end, it may be necessarily to move this battle up a notch and start talking directly to chains that sell the beverage.

But for now, you can minimally leave feedback on Bolthouse’s Web site, asking them to explain why they are giving money to anti-gay measures. Similarly, Bolthouse has a fan page on Facebook. If you’re a member of it, leave the group, and let them know why.

For more information, check out this article at the Torontoist. You’ll also see here that Rockstar, the energy drink sold at thousands of clubs (including gay clubs) around the country, is owned by the family of conservative commentator Michael Savage — yes, the same Michael Savage who has called same-sex parents “child abusers” and who has said of gay rights: “Think only one thing: someone who wants to rape your son.”

That’s disgusting. But I’ll hand it to Michael Savage — it’s language like that, which is so repulsive and offensive on its surface, that is going to help make gay marriage legal in state after state after state down the road.

So drink responsibly, as they say. No to Bolthouse. No to Rockstar.

1. 14 Responses to “Bolthouse Farms giving money to fund anti-gay marriage efforts”

2. By steve on Jul 2, 2008 | Reply

“I don’t like giving money to companies that try to take away my rights.”

LOL…you give your money to the Government everyday. At least this juice does something the Government doesn’t do: Promote a Healthy Lifestyle.

“Bolthouse Farms is carried in a number of different grocery stores, including Whole Foods and Wild Oats (to name a few of the major organic chains that carry the stuff). But it’s critically important to send the message that this is inappropriate corporate behavior. Barring changes on Bolthouse’s end, it may be necessarily to move this battle up a notch and start talking directly to chains that sell the beverage”

Last I checked it is a free country. You will never EVER, be able to avoid a company that promotes something you don’t believe in because somewhere along the a product is made or handle by someone or some company with an idea, you do not like.

Next thing you will be doing is avoiding Barnes & Noble or Amazon.com because they sell the Bible.

Stop the madness buddy…

3. By Lisa on Jul 2, 2008 | Reply

Like George Carlin said you can prick your finger but don’t finger your prick.

4. By Steve O on Jul 3, 2008 | Reply

Lisa,

Jesus spent 40 days and 40 nights in the desert, I can, with complete certainty, guarantee you that he rubbed one out, atleast once, thinking about Mary Magdalene. Or was he thinking about Peter and Paul?

Discuss.

5. By Charlotte on Jul 3, 2008 | Reply

There will always be people against equality. Marriage is a basic civil right that should be attainable by all Americans if they choose. For those who are uncomfortable with gay marriage check out our short produced to educate & defuse the controversy. It has a way of opening closed minds & provides some sanity on the issue: http://www.OUTTAKEonline.com

6. By Lisa on Jul 3, 2008 | Reply

I bet he did rub one out SteveO personally I wouldn’t care if he was thinking about a donkey. I am not the person to ask because I am not against gay marriage at all.

7. By Steve O on Jul 3, 2008 | Reply

Lisa, cool! Just thought I would point it out.

8. By rube cretin on Jul 3, 2008 | Reply

Damn this is a tough group. got to move on.
    lisa, i love the Carlin quote.

9. By Dusty on Jul 3, 2008 | Reply

Ah yes, located in Bakersfield which is the hub of Kern County. I say again steve with the small ’s’…the reddest part of Cali dude. And the place I call home..sweet..cough..home.

Fuckers..May the piss of a million flies land in their products and cost them untold millions in profits.

10. By Chris Radulich on Jul 3, 2008 | Reply

So Steve

I take it you want to eliminate the fire, police, and army since you want to do away with the government. Also I assume you belief that the anti gay people should get over it and stop announcing boycotts when companys expand their benefits to gay people.

11. By Joe on Jul 3, 2008 | Reply

Here is a campaign that is trying to get the world record for the most simultaneous same-sex marriages (200 couples at once). It’s an inventive way to celebrate the California ruling and highlight the positive. Here is a link to the campaign: https://www.thepoint.com/campaigns/same-sex-marriage-2008.

12. By Dusty on Jul 3, 2008 | Reply

Joe, bless you for highlighting the positive.. ;)

13. By steve on Jul 3, 2008 | Reply

Um…sure Chris…that is exactly what I said.

14. By Independent Mind on Jul 3, 2008 | Reply

I never really liked Rockstar energy drinks, or organic drinks, but I may have to start supporting them from now on. It’s nice to know a company hasn’t bowed to the pressure from the gay mafia!

If you haven’t already guessed it, I’ll be voting for the Constitutional ban on same sex marriage. With recognition of civil unions giving the same rights as marriage, I see no civil rights being violated by banning the use of the term marriage when referring to gay unions.

15. By Chris Radulich on Jul 4, 2008 | Reply

Now if they only did not bow to the pressure of the religious mafia or NRA mafia.