21 hilariously hyperbolic pro-America songs

July 4th, 2008 | by Steve O |

1. Lee Greenwood, “God Bless The U.S.A.”

C-list country singer Lee Greenwood has built a career on his pride in being an American, which at least entitles him to know that he’s free. Countless Republican politicians have similarly adopted “God Bless The U.S.A.” as a showy demonstration of undying patriotism. But given the song’s solemn vow to “gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today,” is it possible that Greenwood—in spite of his extensive collection of red, white, and blue jackets—is, in fact, full of it? Considering all of the conflicts this country has been involved with since the song’s 1984 release—including Panama, Iraq, Bosnia, Afghanistan, and Iraq—he’s had ample opportunity to “gladly” follow through on the whole “stand up for freedom” thing.

You can’t burn it but you can wash and wear it!!! You’re looking good tough guy!

1. 10 Responses to “21 hilariously hyperbolic pro-America songs”

2. By Lazarus Long on Jul 4, 2008 | Reply

Steve-O
    Tell me more about John McCain

3. By Craig R. Harmon on Jul 4, 2008 | Reply

Lee Greenwood was born in October 1942. In 1984, Lee was 41-42. At that time, the cut-off age for enlistment was, I believe, 35. By the time the age limit was raised above 42, Lee was still well beyond enlistment age.

4. By steve on Jul 4, 2008 | Reply

Where are the 20 other songs? A little light on the daily tin hat madness, wouldn’t you say Steve O?

5. By rube cretin on Jul 4, 2008 | Reply

Craig,
    I agree in 1984 he would have been 41-42. Now, what exactly would his age have been during the Viet Nam thing in the late sixties and early seventies.
    Seems to me he would have made a pretty good troop during his early 20’s. The guy is an asshole just like our president. Patriotism is the last refuge of a s……

Steve O,
    I personally like your selection of music. Maybe a little more Billy Joel, Dylan, Bruce, would add a little bam to the stew.

6. By Craig R. Harmon on Jul 4, 2008 | Reply

What can I tell you, Rube. During the 60s-70s was not “since the song’s 1984 release.” Can’t a guy point out a logical inconsistency with another guy’s post? Maybe he just got all patriotic in the early 80s, how should I know. All I know is that, post 1984, he had no opportunity to enlist.

7. By Craig R. Harmon on Jul 4, 2008 | Reply

Or maybe he just didn’t think fighting Vietcong in Vietnam constituted standing up and defending America. He’d hardly be the first to think that about the Vietnam war. So it seems plausible, at least, that he could be entirely honest in saying he’d be willing to stand up and defend his country and just never had the opportunity to do so in a situation that wasn’t the Vietnam War.

8. By Craig R. Harmon on Jul 4, 2008 | Reply

Frankly, I didn’t think that fighting Vietcong in Vietnam constituted defending America. I’d have gone if drafted (a came mighty close at one point) but I wasn’t going to enlist to die to keep Vietnam “free” (if free is a word that could describe what Vietnam was before the Commies took over). Doesn’t mean I’m not patriotic or that, if our nation was attacked, I wouldn’t stand up and fight to keep America free.

9. By Steve O on Jul 5, 2008 | Reply

Steve, you need to click on the link.

10. By steve on Jul 5, 2008 | Reply

Ohhhhhh……

11. By Lisa on Jul 6, 2008 | Reply

Speaking of Proud Amercans,sshhhhhhhh!