30 Years Later and McCain is Still Playing the POW Card

August 28th, 2008 | by Steve O |

McCain, during a debate when he first ran for Congress approximately 30 years ago:

“I wish I could have had the luxury, like you, of growing up and living and spending my entire life in a nice place like the first district of Arizona, but I was doing other things,” he said. “As a matter of fact, when I think about it now, the place I lived longest in my life was Hanoi.”

STFU already!!!! You have trivialized what was probably a very traumatic point in your service to this country and that is sad, very sad. Your handlers, undoubtedly none having served in the military, keep telling you to counter every question with your POW experience but that says nothing to whether you can lead. I’m sorry Mr. McCain but Winston Churchill summed it up the best when he said:

You see Mr. McCain, by trivializing your POW status you really have made people sit down and think WTF does your POW experience have to do with running a country? And at the end of the day, one can only conclude that your POW experience amounted to nothing but one of your greatest failures, yet you want us to look at it as some kind of life time achievement. You failed Mr. McCain, being a POW means you failed.

YOU GOT CAUGHT!!! You failed in your mission and you got caught.

That’s one hell of a message you’re trying to tell everyone. I failed, so vote for me. I got shot down, please vote for me. I failed in completing my mission, please vote for me!!

1. 33 Responses to “30 Years Later and McCain is Still Playing the POW Card”

2. By Independent Mind on Aug 29, 2008 | Reply

Wow Steve O, that’s pretty good spin. As a former soldier myself, I have a lot of respect for anyone who can spend five years being tortured and beaten by the enemy, refuse offers of preferential treatment because he was the son of an Admiral, and not betray your country. I have no respect for a coward like Barack Hussein Obama, who’s never served the country and would surrender at the first sign of armed conflict! At least John McCain would fight!

3. By Liberal Jarhead on Aug 29, 2008 | Reply

I.M., I am a veteran too, retired USMC in my case - I share your respect for McCain’s having endured his time as a POW, and I don’t fault him for having been shot down - in most cases in that situation, it was a case of wrong place, wrong time more than one’s ability as a pilot. I do agree with Steve O, though, that other than having proven his fortitude when imprisoned and tortured it’s not relevant to the President’s job.

How do you come up with your characterization of Obama as a coward or as someone who “would surrender at the first sign of armed conflict”? That is not the stance he’s taken in anything he’s said about foreign policy - Obama will listen to his expert advisers (unlike Bush) and think things through, rather than reacting to provocation in a way that makes him easy to manipulate.

The silly emphasis on his middle name is revealing - it shows the bigotry of the person speaking. The man had his name chosen for him by his parents, and Hussein is a very common name in the culture from which his father came, about as unusual as someone here being named Dave or Tom.

It seems 99% of the attempted character assassination of Obama by the right is based on fantasy, rather than on anything he’s actually done. It’s the old game of “let me predict that you’ll do something awful, then rake you over the coals for it.” Kind of like those comedies where person A gets mad at person B over something rotten B did in a dream A had. I take it as a sign that you don’t have anything real to bitch about, so you have to just make crap up. But then, that’s what people like Limbaugh, Coulter, Savage, Dobbs, and O’Reilly have been doing for a living for years.

You call yourself Independent Mind, but the way you are parroting the far right’s propaganda indicates that you are anything but independent - why not sign yourself as “Just Another Dittohead?”

4. By Steve O on Aug 29, 2008 | Reply

IM, I am also a veteran and what you failed to read in my article is the fact that I respect what McCain did, I do not respect that he is trivializing the tragedy. So as a liberal and a backer of Obama I feel it is my duty to call it what it actually is. A FAILURE. HE FAILED. SIMPLE. HE . . . FAILED.

There is no other way to explain how you obtain the status of POW. HE FAILED.

Have you ever played Red Rover? If you don’t break through the line, YOU FAIL. Your mission is to break through the line and if you don’t you FAIL. Same with John Sidney McCain, he FAILED!!!!

Liberal Jarhead, can say wrong place, wrong time (and you know I love you LJ) but I say he could have flown smarter. Simple, he didn’t and he FAILED.

John McCain is like Bush, he has been a failure all his life and he had daddy around to clean up behind him. Do we want four more years of FAILURE???

5. By Lazarus Long on Aug 29, 2008 | Reply

Steve-O;
    Ok, by your definition, McCain Failed.
    If So, Then:
    Gore failed, in losing the Presidency
    Kennedy failed in not completing his first term
    Carter failed in not winning a second term
    Rooseveldt failed by not completing his fourth term
    Lincoln failed by not avoiding Southern Secession
    Bobby Kennedy failed by not making it to the convention in 68
    Hubert Humphrey failed by losing to Nixon
    Paul Wellstone failed to win a second Senate term.
    You ask WTF being a POW has to be with being President. Why is that the main point you constantly turn to? If it’s a non-factor, why do you keep bringing it up?

6. By Steve O on Aug 29, 2008 | Reply

Lazarus,

The difference is that none of the men you listed used those failures to try and get elected.

Plus most of the men you listed died and didn’t have a chance to run again.

Nice try, but he failed and he’s using it as a platform to run on.

7. By Lazarus Long on Aug 29, 2008 | Reply

Good arguement.
    BTW, Lincoln was assassinated, as were both Kennedys, Rooseveldt died in office, as did Paul Wellstone.
    But why do you keep harping on his POW status? doesn’t McCain have any other qualities or opinions you disagree with?

8. By Lazarus Long on Aug 29, 2008 | Reply

Steve-O
    Forgot to ask: how are you mending up?

9. By Steve O on Aug 29, 2008 | Reply

Lazarus,

I keep harping on it because he keeps bringing it up. Or his campaign keeps bringing it up and that is a shame that non-militry guys are exploiting his service.

I respect his service but when he uses it as a political chip I have every right to question it.

Everyone knows he’s a POW he should have just kept it like that.

Repeating the POW thing would work well if he was raising war bonds like the Iwo Jima guys but he’s not. He’s running for president.

And no, he has no positive traits that I can see and he has sold me on nothing except the same old, same old and I read Red State and other right leaning blogs and there is nothing there.

I’m mending well, hopefully will be walking in the next two months, until then I have nothing to do but photo shop and write :-)

Thanks for asking.

10. By Lazarus Long on Aug 29, 2008 | Reply

Steve-O
    Glad to hear you’re on the mend.
    As buddah said, ” the truth is somewhere in the middle”, so can you send me some of the right wing blogs you look at? I have plenty of left (thanks), but I’m trying to be ‘fair and balanced’ in my research.

11. By Marine1967 on Aug 29, 2008 | Reply

Lazarous long why don’t you ask McCain why HE! keeps harping on his POW status

12. By Matt V on Aug 29, 2008 | Reply

All this talk of McCain being tortured is pure B.S.
    The VC didn’t do anything to McCain that the US isn’t doing to detainees in Gitmo.
    McCain was merely subjected to a little ‘enhanced interrogation.’

I mean, really - if his alleged ‘torture’ was so bad, why would he vote to approve doing it to someone else?

13. By kafka on Aug 29, 2008 | Reply

Just wanted to say thanks Steve O for the post and your site. It does my heart good knowing not all my fellow citizens are sheeple. Keep up the good work

14. By Linus Bern on Aug 29, 2008 | Reply

Hey Matt V

The thing that appalled me most about his flip flop on approving torture was not just that he had experienced it himself and so he knows how barbaric it is, but that by his own admission he gave the names of the lineup for the Green Bay Packers (or Pittsburg Steelers if he’s in Pennsylvania) so that they would stop the torture. So he knows a tortured person will tell any sh*t to make it stop and that any intelligence you are likely to get is useless. He voted for something that would have been horrifyingly unthinkable in the US eight years ago just to win votes with the Republican base.

15. By Buzzsaw on Aug 29, 2008 | Reply

Hi all.

New to your site.

Have to agree with the position of Steve.

But this also brings to mind another question: when McCain was shot down…what exactly WAS his mission? Lately, it’s starting to emerge that his mission at the time involved dropping ordinance on civilian targets…rather than military ones. Considering that the Vietnamese casualties numbered 2 MILLION, this wouldn’t surprise me.

And then he bemoans the fact that he was “tortured”??

Think about it:

Let’s say I was happily flying a sortie over Smalltown, U.S.A. I drop my cargo, and waste a lot of your loved ones. BUT…..you get off a lucky shot (with whatever), and bring me down. You see me parachute down, and you and your community get to me.

Now…the BIG question:

Do you think I’ll even REACH a POW camp?

Man, I’ll be LUCKY if I’m ONLY tortured for the next five years, and be allowed to to live in the end. Think about it. Because I’ll tell you right this minute…if I’M looking around at all my family and friends that got waxed by some asshole in a plane, and I got a hold of him….I’d chop off his head, and stick it on a pike. Pretty unpleasant to think about, when you look at it from the other side of the fence….ain’t it?

John McCain (and guys like him) have a name in my book (and this is something you ex-service types may have heard before):

Push-Button Warrior.

At least John Kerry had the balls to get up close and PERSONAL with a VC…..and grease him, close enough to see the look in the man’s eyes. Hell, even a swabbie can hit a button off-shore, and send a missile into a town or village miles away. That make HIM a “hero” too?

Now….tell me who the REAL “hero” is.

Puh-leeze.

16. By manapp99 on Aug 29, 2008 | Reply

“At least John Kerry had the balls to get up close and PERSONAL with a VC…..and grease him, close enough to see the look in the man’s eyes.”

Not only that, I heard he didn’t even cry when they ripped the band aid off of his boo-boo.

17. By Harry R. Sohl on Aug 29, 2008 | Reply

I wonder why the very people who served with him in the prison-camp say they won’t vote for him then?

refuse offers of preferential treatment because he was the son of an Admiral,

Bzzzzt! Wrong answer. It is undisputed that McCain was treated preferentially. He even earned the nickname “prince of the plantation” (or maybe he inherited that too?) by his fellow soldiers. He recently claimed the hardest decision he ever made, one that required a lot of prayer, was to simply follow military custom/law/regulations (basic human decency?) and not take an offer to leave the POW camp before some of his mates that had been there even longer than him.

and not betray your country.

Bzzzzt! Wrong answer. Even McCain was haunted then and since with the belief that he had dishonored his country, his family, his comrades and himself by his anti-American propaganda statements he made after only four days of enhanced-interrogation.

18. By Harry R. Sohl on Aug 29, 2008 | Reply

refuse offers of preferential treatment because he was the son of an Admiral,

and not betray your country.

Bzzzzt! Wrong answer. Even McCain admits he was haunted then and since with the belief that he had dishonored his country, his family, his comrades and himself by his anti-American propaganda statements he made after only four days of enhanced-interrogation.

19. By euthyfro on Aug 29, 2008 | Reply

McCain isn’t just a failure,
    He is a murderer, a monster a willing tool of a despicable ruling class that made the clear eyed decision to wage an aggressive war & commit genocide, not just in Vietnam, Iraq & Afghanistan but consistently all over the world for the last 60 years.
    Independent Mind, Liberal Jarhead & all the other veterans: you have my sympathy, either through trickery, gullible ignorance or willful stupidity you were made into part of that special body of armed individuals that exists for the suppression of the vast majority by a tiny oligarchy. I hope you are all recovering well from your experience therein.

20. By George on Aug 29, 2008 | Reply

John McSame personally destroyed 5 navy jets. If he hadn’t been an admiral’s son, the navy would have punted his sorryass out of aviation after the second accident.

21. By Linus Bern on Aug 29, 2008 | Reply

manapp99 how dare you criticize a decorated veteran? Do you hate the troops so much?

22. By George on Aug 29, 2008 | Reply

manap

You’re joking right?

What does hating that sleazeball McSame have to do with our troops?

Answer: nothing.

23. By Lazarus Long on Aug 29, 2008 | Reply

Euthyfro:
    Nice to see a post from the workers paradise of Vietnam, Peoples Republic of.
    Why don’t you take the time to do some research and develop a thought not guided by years of failed marxist ideology. Your posting is a bit too transparent. Do something for society before you denigrate those who’ve served and defended it.

24. By mike on Aug 29, 2008 | Reply

Not exactly sure what country you live in Euthyfro, but, odds are, you have freedom of speech because people fought and died for it.

Are all soldiers/sailors/airmen extraordinary people? Probably not. But in volunteering to serve in our (or any other) nation’s military, they are participating in something extraordinary. They are an active part of what gives all of us the ability to experience life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

I do not look down on those who have chosen not to serve, but I do look up to those who have chosen to serve with me. Perhaps you could extend the same courtesy.

25. By Skip on Aug 29, 2008 | Reply

The problem with McCain being a POW 30 years ago is he has been a hero for 30 years. That puts him SO out of touch with normal Americans. If he needs a new luxury car or his kid’s education paid for…just give a few speeches for a week or two and it’s done (even before he married a multimillionaire).
    This is far removed from the everyday bills I have concerning just making it from paycheck to paycheck… Has anyone reading this lived like a hero for 30 years? Can you relate?

26. By feckless on Aug 29, 2008 | Reply

Were McCain’s injuries caused by a surface to air missile or the giant silver spoon sticking out of his mouth?

McCain only got shot down because he was unqualified to be a attack jet pilot in the first place.

I will bet $1000 that noone else with as dismal and academic record with McCain ever got the highest profile cutting edge posting McCain did in Vietnam.

He got his posting solely because his dad was theater commander for Vietnam.

Like Bush on 9/11 McCain was unprepared and unqualified when he was inevitably tested.

Mr. McCain showed great courage in his captivity, but he has never shown any else but being a consequence free son of privilege.

There was another pilot/hero of vietnam everyone forgets, his name is Duke Cunningham. Service does not guarantee eternal morality.

27. By Canukistanian on Aug 29, 2008 | Reply

I know nothing about this blog, having just come across it from Reddit, but I am curious as to whether my sense of American military culture is accurate. Steve O, did you serve in the Marine Corps?

28. By Steve O on Aug 29, 2008 | Reply

I was in the Navy.

29. By Marine1967 on Aug 29, 2008 | Reply

Don’t get down on Eartyflo. I have a lot of friends who died serving our country and guaranteeing his right and privilege as an American to be just as stupid as he possibly can be.
    Semper Fi … Obama08

30. By gh0st on Aug 29, 2008 | Reply

I was going to hammer you pretty hard…until I see your claim to be ex-military. In light of that point: carry on!

I am liberal - that’s an adjective, not a noun you morons - and while I used to be really impressed with McCain, in the past 4 years he has shown me that I can not trust him, nor vote for him and I am almost upset at the disapointment.

But that does not, by any strech, give me cause to question ANYTHING that he went through on the battle field. Period. End of story. And everyone else out that who has not served needs to STFU and like now. You are ignorant on a level that the work ‘ignorant’ really does not describe it. In addition, you are a disrepectful ass. I said this when Kerry was going through his swift boating and I say it to my liberal friends (see how an ADJECTIVE works you morons?) when they do things like point out “prince of the plantation”.

F you! Big time.

…and that is the problem. Were I military, I would be SCREAMING poed at McCain on a level that I am incapable of in this life. Anyone…ANYONE…that would put military service on the political table is one to two steps lower than a lowlife. What those men and women did for us is a sacred, again SACRED, thing and it deserves a special place in our rhetoric and discourse.

So, I will now STFU and go read what the actual men and woman who’s opinion on the subject means anything. Thanks for the article Steve O. And the contribution to keep the homo-kissing-terrorist-loving-American-hating-neo-hippy liberals like me safe. (aside from the ‘hate america’ sarcasm, that is sincere)

31. By Steve O on Aug 29, 2008 | Reply

Hey ghost no offense but I wasn’t attacking his military service just his status as a POW and WTF it has to do with being qualified to run this country. I did not put his POW status on the table, he did. By doing so he made it open to criticism.

As prior military, I question it because I am appalled at the fact that he would use his “failure” to justify his qualifications for president.

That is all.

32. By MC WORSE on Aug 29, 2008 | Reply

How do you know that he failed at his mission? He could have killed plenty of innocent civilians while he was dropping huge bombs on residential neighborhoods. He could have killed a whole bunch of kids. You don’t know that he failed.

33. By Steve O on Aug 29, 2008 | Reply

McWorse,

But think of the children he didn’t kill. Think. Of. The. Children.

They are alive and hating America now. He FAILED!!

34. By chet on Aug 29, 2008 | Reply

Independent Mind: ….I have no respect for a coward like Barack Hussein Obama, who’s never served the country and would surrender at the first sign of armed conflict!

Wise up, bonehead! Obama will be your new CINC!

Go Army! Beat Navy!