Remember, Tomorrow is 9/11

September 10th, 2008 | by Steve O |

And the media just wants to make sure that you don’t forget it. They also want you to remember to tune into each one of their tributes so that they can remind you that we were attacked by terrorists. They will remind you that 9/11 is the reason we are in Iraq even though not a single terrorist on 9/11 were Iraqi.

What they won’t remind you of is that 4,000+ Americans have died for these acts committed on 9/11 and the mastermind behind these attacks has not been caught. But don’t worry John McCain will pick up where George Bush has failed;

“I’m not going to telegraph a lot of the things that I’m going to do because then it might compromise our ability to do so. But, look, I know the area, I have been there, I know wars, I know how to win wars, and I know how to improve our capabilities so that we will capture Osama bin Laden — or put it this way, bring him to justice…We will do it, I know how to do it.” –John McCain

You know the area John? Have you been on some clandestine CIA mission into the hills of Pakistan that you cannot tell anyone about? You know wars John? Which wars are these? Vietnam? We lost. Iraq? We’re losing. Afghanistan? We’re losing. You know how to improve our capabilities to capture Bin Laden John? Remember, you voted to send our boys into harms way without the equipment they needed to fight the war you voted for.

I hate tomorrow, I hate 9/11, I hate the fact that I lost friends on 9/11 and I hate the fact that a national tragedy has been trivialized.

1. 19 Responses to “Remember, Tomorrow is 9/11”

2. By Lisa on Sep 10, 2008 | Reply

Who is Khalid Shaikh Mohammed?

3. By xacto on Sep 10, 2008 | Reply

Amen.

I’m sick that Bush convinced this country that we are under siege. 9-11 was huge and terrible but everyone seems to forget the previous largest “terrorist” attack was by Timothy McVeigh, a red blooded american, pissed off at the government.

4. By Lisa on Sep 10, 2008 | Reply

Timothy McVeigh, a red blooded american, pissed off at the government.(Clinton)

5. By Craig R. Harmon on Sep 11, 2008 | Reply

Tomorrow is a sacred day for me. Not in the religious sense but in the national sense. I no more rebuke the media for reminding us of that day than I rebuke them for reminding us of 12/7 (Pearl Harbor). There’s nothing trivial about the day for me.

6. By Craig R. Harmon on Sep 11, 2008 | Reply

Lisa,

Who is Khalid Shaikh Mohammed?

‘According to the 9/11 Commission Report [Khalid Shaikh Mohammed] was “the principal architect of the 9/11 attacks”. He is also thought to have had, or has confessed to, a role in many of the most significant terrorist plots over the last twenty years, including the World Trade Center 1993 bombings, the Operation Bojinka plot, an aborted 2002 attack on Los Angeles’ U.S. Bank Tower, the Bali nightclub bombings, the failed bombing of American Airlines Flight 63, the Millennium Plot, and the murder of Daniel Pearl.’

He’s said, by Wikipedia, to have been born in Kuwait to parents from Pakistan…but surely you know this. What’s the point of your question?

Oh. That we caught him, tortured him, tried him and convicted him, is that your point? That, although we don’t have the titular head of Al Qaeda, we did catch the guy most principally responsible for the 9/11 attack?

Actually that’s not a bad point!

Xacto,

Exactly no one in this country who was alive and aware of their surroundings at the time has forgotten Timothy McVeigh. He, too, was caught (though no word on whether he was tortured), tried, convicted and executed. I cannot imagine what the point of that comment was. In any case, it’s simply not true.

7. By Steve O on Sep 11, 2008 | Reply

Craig, I’m not sure where you live but here in the NYC area, the media spends a week “preparing” (their words not mine) and then invite us to spend the entire day with them “remembering”. Of course the “remembering” is put on hold during commercials where the kids run into the kitchen to refill on soda and popcorn before returning to “remembering.”

It’s all bullshit!!!! How about remembering without commercials, that might send a signal of half giving a fuck but quite frankly, fuck you CBS, NBC, ABC, MSNBC, CNN, FOX.

And you know what, we are no better off today (it’s now 9/11) than we were 7 years ago. Someone show me the progress!!!! Please!!!!

That would make me feel better about today. Maybe, just a little progress. Tell me that Afghanistan has been pacified and the country is on route to being a productive part of society. Tell me that we are helping the Middle East rid itself of dictatorships instead of propping them up. Tell me that . . . .

But STOP fucking preparing days of feel good days of stroking fucking commercialism that means nothing. Please. Stop it!

8. By Craig R. Harmon on Sep 11, 2008 | Reply

One correction in the post, though: no one who has been paying the slightest attention to their surroundings can possibly say that we are currently loosing in Iraq. Wake-up, will you, and smell the “It’s no longer 2007 and the height of ‘civil war’ in Iraq.” It is now September of 2008 and the height of the “the Mahdi Army is disbanded in defeat and disgrace; Al Qaeda in Mesopotamia is crushed and humiliated and losing recruits so sharply they’re considering abandoning suicide bombings altogether; most of the Sunni insurgents are cooperating with and fighting with us against Al Qaeda; the political factions that had walked out of the government have rejoined it; and even Iran seems to have abandoned the effort against us” era.

I know the media has, for the most part, ignored Iraq due to the dearth of deaths and destruction and other bad news from there but that’s no excuse to make comments like that. You should know better. Not even the New York Times will say that we’re losing in Iraq. You don’t want to have lower credibility than the New York Times, do you?

9. By Craig R. Harmon on Sep 11, 2008 | Reply

Steve O,

I hear you about the commercials and all. Bad form, that. Still, every year I spend December 7 watching the History Channel and whatever other channels put me in mind of an event that preceded my birth by about 13 years almost to the day. I spend it in quiet contemplation of the fact that my father, who was in the merchant marine as a gunner, might have died before he could sire me. Likewise, I’ll spend tomorrow in quiet contemplation. The thing that haunts me most was the memory of the loud thuds, resulting from people who chose the long drop from the window to roasting inside the towers. I spend it, not seething in anger at Muslims or even so much anger at the particular Muslims who planned, trained for and financed the destruction. Rather, it is one of silent prayer: for those who died in the attack as for those who survived it and mourn as for those who responded to it; for it never to happen again; for a wiser policy from those who direct the response; for Muslims to make such attacks unthinkable by anyone claiming to be a Muslim; for peace in the world.

I share a frustration that UBL and others escaped and that Al Qaeda and Taliban are still alive and kicking lo these many years later, anger that they were too soon set aside for Saddam Hussein in Iraq, anger at Bush and those around him for their failures, their so-long insistence that they must stay the course in spite of the fact that it was obvious that the course they were staying was not bringing Iraq closer to their stated goal but, to the contrary, allowing Iraq to spin out of control.

10. By Craig R. Harmon on Sep 11, 2008 | Reply

I live in The Sticks. Really.

Okay, it’s really called Fowler, Indiana but Fowler is what they had in mind when coining the term “The Sticks”. I watch little television and almost none of it on broadcast network channels.

Consequently, whether because we’re not in New York or whether because we watch so little television, we don’t get the build-up that you describe.

Also, I know no one personally who died in the attack. That might account some for the lack of anger on that day. Not that I don’t mourn; I do. Deeply. But it is a mourning for those who, though my fellow Americans, are but names and faces if that, not shared experiences and memories. It is akin to the feeling I experience on December 7th in that sense, but deeper, I suppose because I watched it happen as it was happening as a contemporary event.

11. By xacto on Sep 11, 2008 | Reply

Sorry Craig, I didn’t mean that people had forgotten about Oklahoma. I meant the whole republican “fear campaign,” had it’s sights trained on the middle east. Making it sound like every brown person was gunning for american blood. Actually, most of my disgust goes to the press. Or pre$$.

12. By Craig R. Harmon on Sep 11, 2008 | Reply

Xacto,

Okay. I get that.

13. By Lisa on Sep 11, 2008 | Reply

I bet if our military caught Bin Laden now it would be no big deal but if he was caught under Obama,well let’s just say talk about politicizing.

SteveO why are you more upset with the coverage of 9/11 more than the ones who did it?
    How liberal of you.

Craig I know who Khalid Shaikh Mohammed is. I was just waiting to see what the response was. He’s the guy that democrats were more concerned with his “civil rights” than any thing else.

14. By Steve O on Sep 11, 2008 | Reply

Lisa, you just don’t get it and I don’t think you ever will. I spent the night of 9/11 in Manhattan because I, like thousands others, could not get off the island. The next morning I took a cross town bus to the Path station and took a quiet, somber ride back to the Jersey side and another bus ride back to my apartment. I got home, hugged my wife (that I had not spoken to since the morning of 9/11) and went to get in my car with every intention of reenlisting. My wife was the only thing that stopped me.

So don’t ask me about anger Lisa, I’m liberal enough to have once served and wanted to re up to protect our country again.

15. By Lisa on Sep 11, 2008 | Reply

And you don’t feel the need to commemorate that?

16. By Steve O on Sep 11, 2008 | Reply

Lisa, I have no problem with that. I have a problem with the commercialization of it as stated in the post. Each station jockey’s for a different angle and for a week leading up to this day plead for you to tune in to “their” commemoration.

I must stop typing now, Mr. 9/11 is speaking.

The biggest dick with a mouth!!!

17. By Craig R. Harmon on Sep 11, 2008 | Reply

Lisa,

Regarding your comment to me, don’t you think that Americans torturing unarmed, helpless detainees something to be concerned about? John McCain does. It is one of the things he’s seriously disagreed with Bush about.

While Bush & Co. don’t admit to torturing KSM, they do admit to subjecting him to harsh interrogation techniques including water-boarding. They can only claim not to have tortured KSM because they don’t classify water-boarding as torture. Most people do. I do.

In this country, we have a Constitution that forbids cruel and unusual punishment and laws against torture. One can argue whether the founders intended that constitutional right to apply only to Americans or to ANYONE that the United States takes into custody from ANYWHERE for ANY reason and whether special exigencies might justify harsh treatment of some detainees, but the very fact that we have such laws and strictures in our Constitution indicates that Americans care about how we treat people that are helpless within our exclusive control.

The big question is, why aren’t YOU concerned about us having tortured KSM?

18. By Badtux on Sep 11, 2008 | Reply

McCain might have objected to torture, but he eventually voted for the bill authorizing torture.

If there is anything that summarizes Republican rule of the United States, it is this elementary fact: even the simple act of bringing one man to justice appears impossible for the Bush Administration and the Republicans in Congress who rubber-stamp everything for Bush, one of whom, remember, is John McCain, who has voted with Bush over 90% of the time. Yet the American public appears ready to reward failure with four more years.

H.L. Mencken once said, “Democracy is the notion that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” Previously on my own blog, I’ve posited that it will take nothing less than complete and utter national disaster on the level of the Great Depression, with 40% unemployment, food riots, massive Hoovervilles, etc., to wake Americans up to the notion that their current mean-spirited, short-sighted, brutal and selfish path is a dead end. Sadly, it appears both Mencken and I are both being vindicated by current events.

- Badtux the Somber Penguin

19. By Craig R. Harmon on Sep 11, 2008 | Reply

Badtux,

Yet the American public appears ready to reward failure with four more years.

I don’t think it’s quite as bad as all that.

It does appear that the political momentum is behind Palin-McCain (in that order) and that independents and women are going over to McCain-Palin in their support and the enthusiasm factor, which long has favored the Democratic ticket, seems now to be evening out but take heart:

The time between today and election day in the political realm is the equivalent of eternity in any other sphere. Anything can happen:

Sarah Palin might be found to have overstepped her official authority for improper grounds in the investigation going on in the Alaska State Senate committee.

The armies of investigators and reporters flooding Wasilla, Palin’s home-town, and Alaska may come up with something that will make Sarah Palin an untenable v-p choice and that will cast such a pall over McCain’s judgment that McCain will be unelectable no matter WHO his v-p candidate is.

Sarah might embarrass herself before America in her first sit down with an ABC reporter since being chosen to be McCain’s v-p pick and then show herself totally lost during the v-p debate.

All kinds of things can happen that will make you happy before election day.

20. By Lisa on Sep 11, 2008 | Reply

The big question is, why aren’t YOU concerned about us having tortured KSM?

Like he was going to offer up information if we asked nicely Craig?
    It’s not like he was a farmer we grabbed off a field.
    KSM was not new to the Al-Aqaeda circles.
    But hey he got to keep his head and his genitals.
    Of course you will disagree with me but I really have no soft spot for cold blooded killers.