Artist takes artistic license…

September 18th, 2008 | by Dusty |

Jill Greenberg is a photographer. She recently took the picture below of Weathervane McCain for an Atlantic Monthly cover:

Ms. Greenberg also asked to take some photos for her personal use. McSame’s handlers agreed…

Evidently his handlers aren’t astute enough to realize that these types of shots are not…well…appealing nor do they put your boy in a good light..Below is what Ms. Greenberg did with her personal shots of McSame:

Alternet has these up on their site with a question:

Was it immoral and unprofessional for her to make unflattering pictures? Or was it her right to create images as political commentary about a man who has no qualms broadcasting mendacious advertisements and then defending them as truth?

What do you think, readers?

I think they are just fine…but thats just me. ;) Ms. Greenberg however is getting major shit over her images which are obviously photoshopped. Her response: “Some of my artwork has been pretty anti-Bush, so maybe it was somewhat irresponsible for them [The Atlantic] to hire me.”

If you are someone that saw NO problem with the Obama New Yorker cover, then you can not have a problem with these images in my humble yet vocal opinion. That would be hypocritical at best. And for th record…I had NO problem with the New Yorker cover.

BTW, I left the most heinous one out..check out the Alternet article to see that one. :lol:

1. 8 Responses to “Artist takes artistic license…”

2. By admin on Sep 18, 2008 | Reply

1. I think they are funny.
    2. I think they are truthful.
    3. I think she should never be hired by the Atlantic again because it was unprofessional.
    4. How fucking stupid is the McCain staff???

3. By Dusty on Sep 18, 2008 | Reply

I agree with all four of your points Cranky! ;)

4. By Tom Harper on Sep 18, 2008 | Reply

It’s sort of sleazy and underhanded, but there’s a (culture) war going on and all the stops are being pulled out.

As conservatives are always chirping, “let the buyer beware.” The Atlantic Monthly knew what they were getting into, or should have known.

Anyone who surfs the net has already seen pictures and descriptions (of all politicians) that are much more insulting than those Atlantic Monthly photos.

5. By Dusty on Sep 18, 2008 | Reply

Yes there are more insulting graphics…and I just made a YouTube of many of them. ;)

6. By Cranky Liberal on Sep 18, 2008 | Reply

true but those are not usually courtesy of a pro-photographer hired by a legit magazine and given access to the candidate. They are often by people like Steve and myself who want to rake idiots over the coals. :D

7. By Liberal Jarhead on Sep 18, 2008 | Reply

Cranky:

Correct, correct, correct, and correct.

Like any unflattering image, caricature, etc., if it’s presented as a political message with the clear awareness that no one is going to mistake it for straight journalism, then it’s within the lines, although as noted it’s ugly and I’d like to see the progressives sticking to the high road, remembering that “it’s the issues, stupid,” and not letting themselves get drawn into a mud pie fight.

But if anyone is going to start crying foul over vicious lampoons in American politics, they need to hop in a time machine and go back to before the Revolutionary war and start there. While they’re at it, they might as well go back to Europe in the Renaissance, because the precedent goes back at least that far. For anyone to get all butt-hurt (as my daughter used to put it) at this point, especially the party of Limbaugh, Coulter, Rove, etc., etc., is hypocritical bullshit - no, elephant shit - of the highest degree. I prefer Obama’s attitude when he laughs and says he’s been called worse names on a basketball court.

8. By Windspike on Sep 18, 2008 | Reply

Satire is only humorous when laced with some truth. I think they are dead on pure exercise of one’s First Amendment Rights.

9. By Paul Watson on Sep 19, 2008 | Reply

It is a tad unprofessional, though. However, she did ask, and they did say yes, so you cna’t say she didn’t give them a chance, but still unprofessional.