$34,000.00 and Counting for a Broken Foot

September 28th, 2008 | by Steve O |

Most of you that follow Bring It On know that back in July I was in a serious motorcycle accident that luckily left me in tact and alive but left my left leg shredded, my ankle was crushed and my heal was damn near torn off of my foot. Without going into all of the details, I have pretty good coverage through work and thank goodness a good portion of my bills have been covered by my insurance.

I spent a month in the hospital and was sent home with home care nursing coming in every other day to take care of me. All told I have had a total of 17 surgeries on my leg and it is still not clear whether I will be able to keep my foot or move down the road to amputation and a life long disability.

So far, to date, my bill for this accident, that wasn’t my, fault is approaching $34,000.00 (after my insurance covered its part) and it isn’t over by a long shot. Not to mention (different subject all together) the fuckers that hit me do not have insurance. But John fucking McCain wants to give me a $5,000.00 tax credit to go find my own insurance.

Can someone explain to me he I can spend my entire adult life paying for health care insurance yet I am one step away from losing my house and foreclosing because of an accident and somehow John fucking McCain thinks that a $5,000.00 tax credit is going to help me out?

The irony of the whole situation is that if I’m homeless and walk into an emergency room I cannot be denied care and I don’t have to worry about losing anything or paying a dime. So why work? Why contribute to society?

Meanwhile our Congress is trying to figure out how to bail out their friends on Wall Street. There is an irony in that story as well, do any of you know why Wall Street is called Wall Street? Maybe it’s time to build that wall again.

Maybe, just maybe, the bail out should be used to keep people healthy and dry with a roof over their head because a healthy society is a wealthy society.

Only a rich mother fucker could possibly think that a $5,000.00 tax credit is going to keep anyone healthy.

1. 8 Responses to “$34,000.00 and Counting for a Broken Foot”

2. By Chris Radulich on Sep 29, 2008 | Reply

Sorry to hear about your troubles. The funny thing is that for years I have tried to explain to people how many of us are just one accident away from serious trouble and that is why we need universal health care. I don’t think I’ve have ever been successful at changing peoples mind.

3. By Steve O on Sep 29, 2008 | Reply

thanks chris and normally I would not speak or talk about myself but I cannot believe we can throw fucktards on Wall Street. $700 billion bone and all McCain can do is throw me a $5000 tax credit even though I could be homeless in a month?

How could it be that they can pull $700 billion out of their colle give asses but they cannot find enough money to take care of all Americas health care problems?

This all just sucks from both the left and right.

It’s our money people and we just handed it to crooks.

I got three letters g-u-n!!!

Don’t fuck with other peoples money!!!

4. By steve on Sep 29, 2008 | Reply

Try joining the ranks of the divorced and try and get out of the house!! Holy Shit… At least your ankle is paid for!! I haven’t worried about money because I live meagerly (except for my vice for Porsches, one of which sits broken) and because I live meagerly if I needed money, I just went and made more. If I wanted to move… I just made more. I hit the point of not making more and then to have all the shit hit the fan on the marital front along with a medical condition. Uggh!!! Compound that with the economy, I am almost here asking for my reparations out of the 700 billion. Anyone want to take over payments on a slightly used 2008 Cayenne? :) 16 mpg in the city and it needs Super Unleaded at $4 a gallon.

5. By steve on Sep 29, 2008 | Reply

Sorry Steve O… I ranted too much and didn’t realize that I said your ankle is paid for. I know it is not because money does not buy everything. Even if you do not tell us everything, I enjoy your strength and courage everyday on this blog (even if you are a stinking, tree hugger :) ).

I didn’t think times were really tough until around the end of July. And now, the shit is tough and carrying a joint bank account with a soon to be ex wife is not fun, especially with not even a little equity to draw from and a simple refinance that anyone could get a few years ago.

6. By Lisa on Sep 29, 2008 | Reply

At least the government would make the choice for you. Forget years of rehab it cost too much(not covered in the budget) Not that I agree with the current system either.
    Belive it or not a firen of mine works with her in a doctors office and they moved here 4 months agao from Canada because her husband has a heart cndition and he wasn’t getting the right care. He has done a complete turnaround since they found a good cardioligist here. Not to mention she alo said it took 3 months for her granddaugter to get a brain scan because they(the government)didn’t feel it was an emergency,and guess what it was.

7. By Steve O on Sep 29, 2008 | Reply

No worries steve, I know where you were coming from.

Lisa, the story goes both ways. My simple message is that NO ONE should fear homelessness because of health reasons. NO ONE!

And guess what, you cannot lose your house in Canada if you get behind on bills.

8. By Lisa on Sep 29, 2008 | Reply

And guess what, you cannot lose your house in Canada if you get behind on bills

I agree and I said I don’t like the current system either. But if your dead you won’t have to worry about getting behind on your bills.Plus that 55% income tax they pay they shouldn’t have to lose thier homes.

9. By Liberal Jarhead on Sep 30, 2008 | Reply

The one place we really have socialized health care in the US is in the military and VA system, and although there are fuckups like the recent events at Walter Reed, if adequately staffed and funded they do a better job than anything I’ve seen in an HMO-based health program through anyone’s job.
    So when I hear a discussion about single-payer health care, that’s what I envision. It would provide care for the 1/7 of Americans that aren’t covered; would save substantial amounts of money that is now going to pay for hair-splitting gatekeepers deciding who is eligible and for what care, as well as for emergency room visits by people who wouldn’t have been there if they’d had preventive care; and it would have helped with the current financial crisis, because the #1 reason Americans end up too far in debt to keep their houses is medical care. Just like you’re concerned about happening in your situation, Steve. It sucks.

So what does McCain do? Besides his petty $5K health care credit (how many days in the hospital would it have taken you to burn through that?) he wants to do the same thing to veterans who qualify for VA care based on disability. At a recent speech (to the VFW, of all groups!) he proposed, instead of matching Obama’s pledge to fully fund the VA as a base budget item, giving a similar little allowance to use for civilian health care outside the VA system where the VA system couldn’t handle the load with current staffing and funding. In other words, start the process of eliminating guaranteed care for vets with service-connected disabilities and pushing them into the general health insurance pool, full of insurance sharks, along with the rest of Americans. The VFW was not impressed with Mr. McCain. Talk about not only cold injustice but a political tin ear, to make that speech there… dumbass.