5th Grade Reporter Interviews Senator Joe Biden

October 24th, 2008 | by Steve O |

BONUS: He asked Senator Biden “What does a VP do?” during the interview and Senator Biden answered with a response that could be understood by all of the students at KEC/Canal Point Elementary.

1. 11 Responses to “5th Grade Reporter Interviews Senator Joe Biden”

2. By Windspike on Oct 24, 2008 | Reply

Nice response. Not condescending at all. Way, way better than the Palin response to the same question from third grader.

Biden’s got my vote.

3. By Lisa on Oct 24, 2008 | Reply

I guess they have to limit him to speaking to children because he obviously sounds likes he’s off his meds when speaking to the general public. Here he has to slow down and think about waht he is saying before he says something off the wall

4. By Windspike on Oct 24, 2008 | Reply

Sounds qualified to me. Perhaps Palin can take a lesson. She couldn’t even answer a simple question about what she reads…Zoiks.

5. By manapp99 on Oct 25, 2008 | Reply

Maybe he could explain to the kid how we are going to be “tested” (read attacked) because we are electing an inexperienced, unproven man for President. Perhaps even in his home town. Then he can tell him how he will have to believe in Obama even though he will have to make an unpopular decision.

From Biden:

“I can give you at least four or five scenarios from where it might originate,” Biden said to Emerald City supporters, mentioning the Middle East and Russia as possibilities. “And he’s gonna need help. And the kind of help he’s gonna need is, he’s gonna need you - not financially to help him - we’re gonna need you to use your influence, your influence within the community, to stand with him. Because it’s not gonna be apparent initially, it’s not gonna be apparent that we’re right.”

Perhaps the unpopular decision will be reinstating the draft. Great news for a young man.

6. By Chris Radulich on Oct 25, 2008 | Reply

7. By manapp99 on Oct 25, 2008 | Reply

“We already know that you do not believe that this country is worth contributing your time or money to.”

Care to explain what you mean by this and to who you are referring?

8. By Windspike on Oct 25, 2008 | Reply

Man,

What’s the difference between a draft and mandatory extended tours in Iraq?

9. By manapp99 on Oct 26, 2008 | Reply

Well Wind. Good question, for a fith grader. You see, the military is an all volunteer force. This means that people volunteer for the job and agree to do what ever the job description calls for. You do not sign up and say “I want to serve, unless it is dangerous or inconvenient for me”. Imagine if you will other dangerous jobs people sign up for, fire fighters, cops, repo men/women. You know the risk and you accept the job. You would not expect a fire fighter to say “I want to be a firefighter but if the fire goes on past my shift, I am going home.” Any tour is mandatory and if they are extended it is because the need is extended.

The draft on the other hand takes people by a lottery. There is no consideration for who is being drafted or their disposition towards serving. A person is just told to report for duty or go to jail. Your service, and perhaps your life, becomes one of the things that government just decides it wants and takes it. Kind of like the way they take your money. The people who end up serving may not really want to do so and would not be motivated to do a good job. The draft should only be considered as a last resort as it is the least effectual way to build the armed services. Especially now that warfare is more high tech the training required is more geared to people wanting to be there and not being conscripted to be there.

Hope that answers your question. ;)

10. By Chris Radulich on Oct 26, 2008 | Reply

Hat did I mean by that. I mean that I am tired of people saying that I love my country but I will not contribute any time to it. Universal service or even the draft is too much trouble.

Or I love my country but I don’t want to pay any taxes. It’s my money and you can’t have any.

JFK once said ” Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country.” This is obviously no longer something that most people want to ponder. The only thing they want to do is shop with their money.

The one major thing I fault both candidates with is this insistence on cutting taxes. We are in hock up to our ears and all you hear is cut taxes. Palin doesn’t even believe that it is patriotic to pay taxes. I guess she feels it is up to others to feed, cloth, and arm her son. I guess when she talks about doing more for special needs children she thinks other people should pay for it. Certainly not the American people. That would mean that they would have to pay taxes.

So when you talk about the draft as if it something to fear. That serving your country is a thing to fear. It is hard to see the love.

11. By manapp99 on Oct 26, 2008 | Reply

I have never seen anyone argue there should be no taxes. The argument is the degree to which you want government to do things that are outside the traditional role of govenment. It makes since to have taxes pay for military, borders and infrastructure (roads and bridges) but even in that endeavour they have shown an inability to use the money wisely. For instance, here in Colorado the government issued a report recently saying that an additional 150 million was needed for road and bridge repair. The report was dire in warning that some bridges are in worse shape than the one that collapsed recently. I look around and see CDOT spending money on repaving I-70 through Vail with a new quite pavement so as not to disturb our rich visitors. Removing a concrete barrier through one stretch of road only to replace it with new concrete barrier that is poured instead of the removable ones that were there. Then the next year they decided to build it 2 feet taller to block incoming headlights and so stack new blocks on top. They are busy building noise berms also in Vail and installing these cool new electronic signs every 10 miles so they can keep the traveler informed of road conditions. They are also building a new 12′ fence to keep deer off of I-70. My point is that they are saying bridges are going to fall so we need to grant a tax increase yet they are spending the money on projects that may be worthwile if you are flush with cash but not if people lives are in danger. Would you rather have your tax dollars go for bike paths or for safe bridges? Seems like a no brainer but then again we are dealing with government where the money gets spent in a direct ratio to the donations made. And we have a Democrat governor as well as a Democrat congress.

I am not saying that they are bad because they are Dems but because they are politicians.

Your tax dollars are wasted day in and day out.

Of course I am willing to pay taxes but I sure as hell do not have to like paying for the waste and fraud that is the norm in government.

And we haven’t even touched on social spending which is the 300 pound gorilla in the government spending closet.

12. By Chris Radulich on Oct 26, 2008 | Reply

And business don’t waste money. Sure they do so lets close the stock markets.

Religions don’t waste money? Sure they do so lets close all the places of worship.

As for social spending. Social security and medicare have been in the black for decades. I believe it was Reagan’s secretary of treasure who admitted that the main cause of the deficit were the tax cuts and ramping up of defense spending. So if you want to cut spending the military would be the place to go. Probably need to cut it between 25 to 50 %.

What is the difference between saying I want to pay no taxes and constantly saying I want my taxes cut?